made a batch of healthy food

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
i made a batch of food today that i was able to package as individual meals and freeze them. I served it up today after i packaged everything. my female was thrilled. My male is still just looking at it.

Ingredients are Cantelope, Strawberries, Greens, mushrooms, 2 chicken eggs plus shell, and 2 cans of fish.
i got the baggies at the craft store.

turtfoodprep_zpslvqml4ua.jpg

turtfoodbaggy_zpsbbstyivn.jpg

turtfoodbern_zpsqkidqkfm.jpg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
thank you. Bernadette and Wolowitz were not cared for very well before i got them and they are a bit beat up. but i hope to make them very happy.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Update- well i thought the raw egg would be a good idea, but it makes cleaning up the plates a bit trickier. NEXT batch the eggs will be hard boiled and still include the shells. i still have a lot in the freezer.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Great idea! I've been helping friend who just rescued big homeless puppy with lots of skin problems including bald areas/itching. He was not likely to get adopted but his soul is very special and my friend is like me, we're both suckers for those.... Anyway, I've been reading a lot on diet for this pup. Something tells me that we'll get him well with good food and lots of tlc. I've watched couple of videos on preparing dog food where the chef puts whole eggs with shells in the blender and purees them before mixing with ground meat. I think I'll try to do that for my torts and kitties. Freezing in batches is great idea! Thank you for posting it. Big time saver in clean up of all the equipment too. I'm thinking about definitely freezing prepared protein (eggs/meat). Some of the produce can be frozen and some added fresh right before serving. Again, thanks

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i think they can. Variety is the key as long as it is something they enjoy eating and make sure to get some veggie in there.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Romaine. But you can also use dandelion greens. There are others that are safe, but i can't remember what they are now.

ok mustard greens, Turnip greens, collard greens are all ok and also red leaf lettuce, romaine and dandelion greens.

Last edited:

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i also know of a recipe that was on FB but it's not my recipe and i don't know who to give it credit to-

it is called Box Turtle Meatballs. you take 6 tbsp of protein which can be any protein including insects, but not sure how you kill it before hand or if you leave it alive and guess at your measurements. 3 tbsp fruit or veggie in the form that the turtles can eat it. some need to be pre-cooked to soften it, like yams or butternut squash. other stuff is soft enough. green beans can be used, anything you can feed your turtle. 1 tbsp turtle pellets. (not sure what kind or brand.)1 hard boiled egg, shell can be included. 2 tbsp calcium powder, 1 tbsp reptile vitamins. Blend, Roll into meatball shapes, not too big. Freeze, store. Thaw when ready to feed.

Maybe someone else knows the details of this recipe.. i only have this much info.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I gave my boxies arugula today and the male ate it.