Lumber Cost for New Sulcata House

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Got some work on the house the last couple days with the cooler and dry weather. Finished the wall insulation using 2 layers squeezed down to 3.5 inches.Picture 001.jpgFinished the exterior wallsPicture 008.jpgGot the door flaps installed, 8 layers using 6 mil poly and 4 of a heaver transparent vinyl.Picture 007.jpgPicture 006.jpgGot the floor down using 3 different types of left over flooring. Before installing the flooring I got 4 heavy coats of oil base paint on the wood below the flooring. Put the heater diagonally in a corner and hung a heat panel on the wall.Picture 009.jpgNeed to order a heat pad, build a ramp to the door and cosmetic work to the outside.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Got some work on the house the last couple days with the cooler and dry weather. Finished the wall insulation using 2 layers squeezed down to 3.5 inches.View attachment 332320Finished the exterior wallsView attachment 332321Got the door flaps installed, 8 layers using 6 mil poly and 4 of a heaver transparent vinyl.View attachment 332322View attachment 332323Got the floor down using 3 different types of left over flooring. Before installing the flooring I got 4 heavy coats of oil base paint on the wood below the flooring. Put the heater diagonally in a corner and hung a heat panel on the wall.View attachment 332324Need to order a heat pad, build a ramp to the door and cosmetic work to the outside.

Hi!
I am in trouble after the storm Ida blew apart my tort shed.
I am Soooooo glad, thankful, and appreciate that you posted pictures and steps!!!!!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!
❤️❤️❤️❤️
Now I have an idea of how to build another one from scratch.
I looked for Toms housing plans but they seem to be taken off of this site.
I didn’t get around to asking him to repost his plans. ☹️
So… thanks again!!!
And wish me luck!
I only hope the one I build is HALF as nice as yours!!!
You did a fantastic job!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi!
I am in trouble after the storm Ida blew apart my tort shed.
I am Soooooo glad, thankful, and appreciate that you posted pictures and steps!!!!!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!
❤️❤️❤️❤️
Now I have an idea of how to build another one from scratch.
I looked for Toms housing plans but they seem to be taken off of this site.
I didn’t get around to asking him to repost his plans. ☹️
So… thanks again!!!
And wish me luck!
I only hope the one I build is HALF as nice as yours!!!
You did a fantastic job!
Yours can be twice as nice....all you have to do is kidnap Turtulas-Lens & his materials.... oh, wait he has guard sulcatas & some guard dogs...never mind...

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Yours can be twice as nice....all you have to do is kidnap Turtulas-Lens & his materials.... oh, wait he has guard sulcatas & some guard dogs...never mind...

Maybe we can make a trade or I could just move in???
That space heater is good enough for me!
Just throw me a piece of squash once in awhile and I’ll be good to go! ?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I'll tell ya, My heart goes out to all you Tort Folks that were in the way of Ida. My heart goes out to you and your familily's and all your Tort kids that may have had to ride out the storm outside. My younger sis Lives about 40 Mi from Annapolis Md. where the tornado struck and she said the Skies were very surreal.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Got some work on the house the last couple days with the cooler and dry weather. Finished the wall insulation using 2 layers squeezed down to 3.5 inches.View attachment 332320Finished the exterior wallsView attachment 332321Got the door flaps installed, 8 layers using 6 mil poly and 4 of a heaver transparent vinyl.View attachment 332322View attachment 332323Got the floor down using 3 different types of left over flooring. Before installing the flooring I got 4 heavy coats of oil base paint on the wood below the flooring. Put the heater diagonally in a corner and hung a heat panel on the wall.View attachment 332324Need to order a heat pad, build a ramp to the door and cosmetic work to the outside.
FYI, It's the layers of "dead" air that is trapped in the layers of insulation that does the insulating. If a higher rating of insulating is needed, yo need to go from a 2 x 4" wall to a 2 x 6" wall/ceiling. Just sayin....?

Len B

10 Year Member!
FYI, It's the layers of "dead" air that is trapped in the layers of insulation that does the insulating. If a higher rating of insulating is needed, yo need to go from a 2 x 4" wall to a 2 x 6" wall/ceiling. Just sayin....?
The only dead air space that truly works as an insulator is a vacuum. The greater density of fiberglass insulation the better the insulation value.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Sure, You are right, But we are NOT talking about vacuum bottle walls.
We are talking about standard building insulation. which works by holding trapped pockets of air that insulate.

"Because glass is naturally a bad conductor of heat, it was the logical base substance to use for an insulating material. Once the Owens Corning brains figured out how to turn glass into fiber material, they were off to the races — their new fiberglass creation could catch air between the multitude of layers of spun glass and prevent the heat from traveling through it. That both keeps heat inside on cold days and outside during the dog days of summer"

Len B

10 Year Member!
Sure, You are right, But we are NOT talking about vacuum bottle walls.
We are talking about standard building insulation. which works by holding trapped pockets of air that insulate.

"Because glass is naturally a bad conductor of heat, it was the logical base substance to use for an insulating material. Once the Owens Corning brains figured out how to turn glass into fiber material, they were off to the races — their new fiberglass creation could catch air between the multitude of layers of spun glass and prevent the heat from traveling through it. That both keeps heat inside on cold days and outside during the dog days of summer"
I'm talking about life experiencies, I started working in the insulation trade In 1968 and learned sometimes you get better results when thinking outside the box and books and going against recommended industry procedures. I retired 19 years ago and still enjoy insulating things properly and cutting energy cost at the same time.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/b8/08/ECFFA38E-CC40-4138-93BB-A2239B56E72E/tmp.gif

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Galloper decided to check out her new house today.View attachment 332661View attachment 332662Yesterday she walked up to the poly and turned around and went back down the ramp. She stayed inside about an hour before coming back out. She went in her old house for the night.

Please tell me how long it takes for her to get used to it. How long before she stays in there for the whole night. ?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Galloper decided to check out her new house today.View attachment 332661View attachment 332662Yesterday she walked up to the poly and turned around and went back down the ramp. She stayed inside about an hour before coming back out. She went in her old house for the night.
Sometimes it hard to get used to new Digg's. But once it happens, it's heaven in the new house!