Loquat

BethieO

Location (City and/or State)
FL
Hi there! I’ve been fervently reading for the past few months and this is my first post. I’ve had my, almost 5 mth old, leopard since he turned 3 mths. Oley is doing fantastic and we are in love with him/her. Just a quick food question, that I’ve not been able to find the answer to. I have the Tort. Table App, but it’s not listed. Wondering if they can eat Loquat leaves? I have so many! Thanks! Y’all are a wealth of great info!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. I’ll go out on a limb here & say no, probably not something you want to feed.

Why? ‘Cause according to Mr Wiki, the loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) is a large evergreen shrub or tree, grown commercially for its orange fruit and for its leaves, which are used to make herbal tea. And it’s in the family Rosaceae.

So, It just doesn't sound like a leaf that i would feed as a food source. Hibiscus yes….loquat not so much.

Al5hough you might not want to feed the leaves or fruit to your tort, the leaves sure do look to have some medicinal properties. You should try some!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I saw Loquat and I KNEW we had another fellow floridian here.
I keep Loquat leaves and fruit away from my Redfoot except for the rare occasion I'll give them a Loquat or two that I've popped that big seed out of.

BethieO

FL
Greetings. I’ll go out on a limb here & say no, probably not something you want to feed.

Why? ‘Cause according to Mr Wiki, the loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) is a large evergreen shrub or tree, grown commercially for its orange fruit and for its leaves, which are used to make herbal tea. And it’s in the family Rosaceae.

So, It just doesn't sound like a leaf that i would feed as a food source. Hibiscus yes….loquat not so much.

Al5hough you might not want to feed the leaves or fruit to your tort, the leaves sure do look to have some medicinal properties. You should try some!

Thanks for finding that info. I appreciate it. At least I have plenty of hibiscus! I’ll look into the human medicinal uses! My son loves to eat the fruit off the tree. And it’s supposed to make a great wine. 🙂

BethieO

FL
I saw Loquat and I KNEW we had another fellow floridian here.
I keep Loquat leaves and fruit away from my Redfoot except for the rare occasion I'll give them a Loquat or two that I've popped that big seed out of.
Thanks for replying. Yes, Florida gal, up near St Augustine. 🙂. It’s a shame loquats aren’t a go. They grow wild like crazy all over my land.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for replying. Yes, Florida gal, up near St Augustine. 🙂. It’s a shame loquats aren’t a go. They grow wild like crazy all over my land.
Yep
I like to eat them myself. But there's a colony of parrots that usually beat me to them