Looking Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
It is such a nice day outside, 80 degrees with a slight breeze so I thought I'd let my kiddos run around and graze in the yard. They are cute little treasure hunters.
I do not have any other pets, just my three Russians; I like to keep it simple. When I let them roam free I sit outside and watch them to make sure they don't get lost, I have a lot of weeds to hide in!
As I sat quietly for about 10 minutes, just watching them and enjoying the day, I heard a shake in the tree just above the tortoise habitat. And then a kumquat was pummeled at me. Ouch! I was startled and looked up.
In this tree a momma squirrel was munching away at the fruit. I also noticed a little to the left a nice and fat beautiful l bird, I don’t know much about birds but it had pretty blue colors and a woodpecker type beak. Further up the tree I saw another squirrel and 3 more birds, all different from the others.
How amazing I thought to myself. This tree is providing a nice shady spot for my little ones and also providing a food source for so many other animals. So amazing what happens when you stop to sit still and just look up.

Attachments

• IMAG0135.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg
    926.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36

erica anne

5 Year Member
It's amazing how much more time I spend outside since I have had Franklin (my sully). You realize what a busy little world it is when you just sit and watch. It's very relaxing.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
It's crazy that we don't realize how beautiful and magical the world really is until you just slow down a little bit... Mmmmmm, kumquats... I think that bird you saw was a bluejay, we have them all over here!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It really is the little things in life that are amazing. Sounds like a nice relaxing time you had.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Animals have a way to make you realize there is so much more in the world than just the daily drama. They give me peace. :heart:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's one reason I think one of the important things folks tend to forget when working on an outdoor enclosure is themselves. You need to create a spot for you to be able to sit back and let the worries of the day quietly slide away on the breeze. A place to quietly observe your tortoises without cramping their behaviors. To see butterflies dancing from bloom to bloom, to savor the warmth of the sun or the cool refreshing breeze across your face. Taking the time to bend your ear to catch the chorus of frogs, birds, and bugs and even perhaps the sad call of the coyotes.

Last year I found on clearance a swing I had wanted for years. I started spending so much more time out in the area where it sits. This is on the opposite side of the yard and garage from my normal spot to relax. It was like I was in a whole new wonderful world there. I had a new bunch of tortoises who lived in that area to enjoy. I also got to watch the birds in the mulberry and apple trees, as well as in the open alfalfa field. I was surprised at the vast number of birds feeding from the apple tree.

No kumquats here (and I never even had the pleasure of seeing one), but I can so easily imagine your special little world.

Status
Not open for further replies.