Looking to get a large Sulcata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

antinym

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL
Hello,
I'm new here, and I thought I'd solicit the advice of the community.
I live in Orlando, FL and I'm looking to pick up a larger sulcata. I have a 40x60 yard and can section off 1/3 of it for the tort. I plan on building a fence and a basking house, and I'm sure there will be more. My question is where would be the best place to get a larger tort? I'd love to have a rescue, as long as it's healthy. And I know that health history can be unknown with many rescues. I just saw there's a reptile show in january here, and I'm sure that's a fine place to start looking, but I like to know the recommendations of current owners and experts.

Dwight.

Michiba54

5 Year Member
Florida
I think my vet said he knows a lady in central florida that resuces sulcata, I'll pm you the number. Might be a good place to start looking.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
40x60 is about the smallest you would want to go for a large Sulcata..
I would definately reccomend a rescue, to get your new tort from.
I have 4 and all are rescues.
welcome to our group.. i hope you find what you are looking for!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dwight:

Welcome to the forum!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome to the Forum Dwight...lotsa info to be had from lotsa GREAT folks! Until you find the sulcata of your dreams, please take advantage of EVERYONE here! In other words, do your research! Sulcata care is simple if you know what you're doing and plan ahead! Make absolute use of ALL resources...GOOD LUCK!

antinym

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
Thanks for all the advice. As for the size of the yard, I was hoping to not quite full grown tort. 15-20". And I'm planning on moving in 2-3 years to somewhere with more land.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, We just had a 40 pounder that was found walking down a local street. A local vet held him for awhile then called me for relocation. He would have been perfect for you. We get sulcatas all the time as drop offs, if you are willing to drive south to pick them up, e-mail me with your information and I will call you next time.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Imagine the look on a non-tortoise freaks face seeing a 40lb Sulcata out for a stroll...priceless

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
I'm late on this and looks like you have the help you need, but it crossed my mind that when I visited the Everglades early this year, they have a reptile zoo. Dont know if the torts are up for adoption but they had an enclosure with, in my opinion, more Sulcatas than they should have for the enclosure.
Filmed a big guy pushing around a smaller guy really rather roughly. Frankly, I think its way overcrowded for them there and they would do better to try to rehome some of them. Just a thought. And yes ... you found a great place for answers to any questions you may have.

John

5 Year Member
go too the show,when i go to the ones here they'll have three or four pilled on top of one another in a cooler,thats a rescue in need of happening

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
welcome to the forum. sounds like you're on your way in good fashion. Lots of good advice can be found on the TFO board.

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.