Looking to buy (recommended breeders/sellers?)

StrangeDejavu

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi all,

This is my first post here. My name's Mitch, i'm a 25-year-old college student with a big heart for turtles/tortoises. My first pet was a Red-eared slider, who enjoyed a spoiled life until he passed. I grew up in North Carolina, so I was around Eastern Box Turtles often. I'd usually catch one at the beginning of spring, keep one temporarily then let them go a few months before winter. Eventually, I wanted a more permanent friend so I purchased Gomez (a 5-year-old Russian). This tortoise had a real personality, he was like a little puppy. I'd let him roam around the yard and he would follow me everywhere. Had no problem being hand fed and loved to explore. Eventually, my parents decided to uproot from NC and move to Florida. Since Gomez lived outdoors, I was concerned about the sudden shift from snowy & cold, dry temps to a hot and humid environment so I gave him to a friend who had plenty of experience with turtles/tortoises.

I think about my old friend often, and have thought more seriously about it recently. After doing some research, I believe a Cherry Head will be a perfect match for Florida weather. I plan to keep him indoors, but will set up an appropriate area outdoors for him to play and get his tan on. :p I have a 4.5 foot x 2 foot area designated for the indoor pin, with no real limit on the outdoor one. My biggest concern is buying from a respectable breeder. I want the healthiest tortoise I can get, which is why i'm staying away from pet stores. I would prefer a younger tort. Any recommendations will be appreciated, as i'm all new to this again.

Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For me, if your wanting a cherryhead, there is only one person to talk with: allegraf. She has not only the most beautiful cherries, but is an outstanding person in every way. Best part is, she lives in Florida. :)

StrangeDejavu

Florida
Thanks Yvonne and Jacqui, i'll check out both recommendations. Being that Allegra is local (well, sort of- i'm on the opposite coast) I would definitely be for supporting local business. :)