Looking for good ideas

tdt86

Look for fun tips to put in my sulcata tortoise tank like plants maybe a mirror so it could see him and her self. Also is there any toys you can buy for them ?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Plants are great. so are small rock piles (nothing high, just a hill maybe) half logs, etc. They do not understand the concept of mirrors so I would skip that. Some have been known to push around balls. I have bright colored ping pong balls in mine but neither pay any attention to them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, a mirror would NOT be a 'good idea.' Tortoises are solitary. They like it that way. If you have one tortoise, he bonds to you, the good god. Once you give him a 'friend' whether it's a mirror or a real tortoise, he no longer interacts with you. He only wants to get at that other tortoise.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, I agree, I wouldn't add the mirror. Plants are great if they stay alive, I've found it's really hard to, um, sustain them?
The rocks are great too, but make sure he can't swallow them (even by accident!) so, nice biggerish ones.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Mirror are good with some bird or cat. For tortoise will think there is another guy wants his territory.

Put some rock as sight blocker, so they like to walk around it to explore.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yes, I agree, I wouldn't add the mirror. Plants are great if they stay alive, I've found it's really hard to, um, sustain them?
The rocks are great too, but make sure he can't swallow them (even by accident!) so, nice biggerish ones.
Yes but that's only cuz you have a plant terrorizing tort ;)

alex_ornelas

newark ca
Try pumpkin. I fed Oliver some and I guess a seed was buried in his coir and started to grow.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Clearance plant racks. Buy, install and replace as needed. Don't buy expensive plants. When I find plants on clearance I type the name of the plant on my phone with "EDIBLE?" after the name and in a moment you can see if it's safe or not....No matter the plant, some nut somewhere has tried to eat it!