Looking for a little help.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wales
I have a little Greek spur thighed tortoise that is 3.5 years old -birthdate in 2012. I have had her since august and the original owner was keeping her in a vivarium with average temps over 30 throughout (they basically got sold the "tortoise package" by a shop somewhere in london). Anyway I have changed her environment to an open top habitat with a mixture of coir and sand/soil substrate. It is two small at only about 6 square feet but her new table is due to be finished next week and will increase her inside space to 3 square meters. Outside is not suitable for her this time of year so outside space will be sorted in spring.

When we got her, she measured 15cm and 506 grams - today I measured and weighed her and she is 15.1cm and 582 grams. That seems like rapid growth to me, but not sure what to expect, we may be overfeeding her.

She receives a diet of green leaves, mostly store bought salad leaves (ive read about which ones are suitable and which are not) I also regularly pick her dandilions and have planted two beds full of greek tort weed seeds, but they wont probably grow properly till spring. I am going to make a cold frame outside to try to grow some more quickly in the meantime.

Anyway she is very active, doesnt drag herself around and is pretty quick, and she likes to bite everything, which I guess if thats what youve got to interact with the world then everything looks like it belongs in your mouth.

So, the help bit. First of all, ive rambled a bit but wanted to give some detail and would appreciate comments or advice about anything.

I have however gotten a little concerned about her shell condition recently, but am not sure if its new or just not noticed previously.

First her plastron is flexible at the rear, and there is a very slight give throughout if sort of medium pressure is applied. I had not noticed this before but am worried about metabolic bone disease because my environment has such limited opportunities, especially through the winter to get her exposure to natural sunlight. She does have a Merc Vapor bulb in her habitat. I also supplement with a vitamin d and calcium powder daily or every other. And occasionally nutrobal but maybe weekly at that. She also gets cuttlefish bone that we collect from beaches near us (should we be sterilising this?)

The second issue is some spots on her plastron that might be shell rot. Ive included photos and would appreciate any suggestions. Under her lamp the temps are 30-33 celcius - her little bedroom under a big rock is usually around 20-23 celcius and fairly gradually warmer in between. The substrate is 6-8 inches deep and is really dry on top but a few inches under the surface is a little less dry but not damp. Ive got a lot of reading to do now ive signed up here (ive read a couple books but they were not very helpful) so ill leave it at these questions for now as they have me worried. File 21-11-2015 11 05 02.jpeg File 21-11-2015 11 06 27.jpeg File 21-11-2015 11 07 39.jpeg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum to you and your cute tort! :tort:

I have a Greek tort too.;)

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Perhaps I've written too much, was hoping someone could tell me if it looks like shell rot in the plastron.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Those two spots on the plastron may have been the site of rot in the past, but it doesn't look active to me. If you're worried you can brush them with a clean toothbrush to remove any loose material and apply some athletes' foot cream. The shell looks good to me though. Really just some natural wear and tear.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Scott:

No, you can never write too much info when you're asking for a certain type of help. It's just that we're in different time zones. I'm sure as the U.S. wakes up, you will get some good answers to your thread.

My opinion-I think the marks on the shell are just scrapes and not new ones at that.

I don't know about sanitizing the cuttlebone.

It might be a good idea to buy a UVB tool that tests if your light is actually still putting out UVB.