Looking for a cold hardy spineless opuntia

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'd like to purchase a pad or two of a cold hardy spineless (or nearly spineless) Opuntia that I can plant in a pot or in the ground in Salt Lake City that has a decent chance to survive our winters.

Opuntia basilarus is native to Utah and is almost completely spineless (it does have lots of glochids, but no big spines), and our native Gopher tortoises eat it quite happily, which would be a good option except that it only grows in southern Utah and doesn't do well in the colder northern Utah climate...

Searching online I've found a few other varieties that are listed as spineless but very few results that are OK in hardiness zones of 7a or colder. I did find one that grows all over eastern Canada called Opuntia cacanapa "Ellisiana" that should fit my needs very nicely, but all of the for sale listings I've seen so far have VERY mixed reviews ranging from OK, to rotten product, to being shipped something entirely different than what was advertised.

I figure I'm more likely to get what is promised from a forum like this, assuming someone out there actually has an Opuntia that doesn't have large "danger daggers" all over it and that might have a chance of surviving through the winter.

If you have something like that, please let me know what your price would be for a couple of pads including shipping to ZIP Code 84070. Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can't you keep them in your house over the winters there?

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
That would work in a pot, and if I didn't have cats that like to knock over every potted plant in the house - even really big pots. :)

Unfortunately, my cats are plant murderers, and they'd probably end up with faces full of tiny glochid needles, so I'm hoping to find an opuntia that I can plant in the ground outside and just leave it there all year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd like to purchase a pad or two of a cold hardy spineless (or nearly spineless) Opuntia that I can plant in a pot or in the ground in Salt Lake City that has a decent chance to survive our winters.

Opuntia basilarus is native to Utah and is almost completely spineless (it does have lots of glochids, but no big spines), and our native Gopher tortoises eat it quite happily, which would be a good option except that it only grows in southern Utah and doesn't do well in the colder northern Utah climate...

Searching online I've found a few other varieties that are listed as spineless but very few results that are OK in hardiness zones of 7a or colder. I did find one that grows all over eastern Canada called Opuntia cacanapa "Ellisiana" that should fit my needs very nicely, but all of the for sale listings I've seen so far have VERY mixed reviews ranging from OK, to rotten product, to being shipped something entirely different than what was advertised.

I figure I'm more likely to get what is promised from a forum like this, assuming someone out there actually has an Opuntia that doesn't have large "danger daggers" all over it and that might have a chance of surviving through the winter.

If you have something like that, please let me know what your price would be for a couple of pads including shipping to ZIP Code 84070. Thanks!
Look up @Len B He is in Northern VA and I believe has some that survive his winters outdoors.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That would work in a pot, and if I didn't have cats that like to knock over every potted plant in the house - even really big pots. :)

Unfortunately, my cats are plant murderers, and they'd probably end up with faces full of tiny glochid needles, so I'm hoping to find an opuntia that I can plant in the ground outside and just leave it there all year.
I see. Good luck with that. But if you don't succeed with that, how about putting the potted plants in a cat-free room or a cage in the house so your cats can't reach them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know if there are any spinless ones that are cold hardy. I tried growing some in pots but they didn't do good and they were in the cold in a shed window but not the snow. They grew during the warm and not real cold temps but not the deep winter temps.

EricW

Houston, TX
Check out this site. Many are sold out, but he has some still in stock. Go to the Opuntia section and I see a few with zone 5 cold hardiness. I just scroll through looking for ones that do not have the large spines and click on them to check them out.

Another thing, if you can preserve a few pads when it gets cold, then replant in spring, they grow fast. So it is an option. My opuntia have grown a dozen hand size pads in just a few weeks this year.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va

Here's some of the spineless opuntias that I grow and do well during our cold and wet winters.KIMG2095.JPGKIMG2098.JPGKIMG2097.JPGKIMG2099.JPGI have more but can't load more than these 4. They are starting to wake up from their winter dehydration. If you are interested in any I can send you some. I don't charge for the pads or plants just for the shipping cost. Check out the USPS site and choose a box size of the ship anywhere boxes. It's been years since I shipped any out so not sure of the cost. I have other plants and small trees also.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
That would be great, Len! The USDA zones map says you're just about the same hardiness zone as I am so they should work well. I'll send you a private message so we can discuss the details. :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
That would be great, Len! The USDA zones map says you're just about the same hardiness zone as I am so they should work well. I'll send you a private message so we can discuss the details. :)
I have these that my Hermann's love. Wild violets and sedum. Also have small rose of Sharon and mulberry trees that I can put in the box. I got your message but not able to attach pics there.KIMG2101.JPGKIMG2100.JPG

EricW

Houston, TX
I added wild violet native to my area fall of 2021. So this is the 2nd summer and finally have enough of them to start feeding. I hope they love them. What is so great about them is they last through the hot summer here unlike violas and pansies.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Wow. I wouldn't say no to any of that! I've actually been trying to find real Rose of Sharon (not the toxic one) and none of the local stores or growers seem to have any.

I do have some really small Sedum starts, but I imagine it will take a while before they are ready to be exposed to a hungry tortoise. :)

I hadn't considered Mulberry, but a quick search says they grow wild (and cultivated) all over this area so that might be a nice option, too.