Cold and Wet Winter Hardy Spineless Opuntia

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I did a thread about these plants last summer, at that time I wasn't really sure how hardy this type of opuntia is.It seems to be as hardy as the humifusa. We had a very wet snowy cold winter that doesn't want to make way for Spring, we are supposed to get more snow next week. I had the 2 original plants in pots about 4 feet off the ground and some pads cut from these plants late summer rooting in the ground.everything looks good even the fruit is full of seeds. They are still in winter mode all shriveled up, but solid and firm. This is the most spine-less opuntia I have found to be able to withstand cold and wet at the same time, we had many days in the single digits and a week at a time temps not above freezing more than once.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you know the name of this variety?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes please. We had the same kind of winter. Still snow coming and did today too. It's never going away:(. I would love to be able to grow some that will actually survive.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Sorry, , I haven't the slightest idea what it is by name. My original 2 pads came from a plant auction in Southern Md. from an unknown grower.

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
In Illinois, opuntia humifusa is native and survives our winters. I have it in my yard as a perennial. It is not truly spineless, but I don't know of many that really are. It has a pretty wide natural range, including the east coast and this looks to be some.