Looking after a relatives tort

OldManTort89

Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk
Hi there, new member here, my father in law has recently passed away, leaving behind a tortoise, he was awake so we have taken him out of hibernation but he is not eating or drinking anything, please advise... Thanks 😀🐢

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! Please post pictures of the tortoise so we can figure out his species, then we'll be better able to give you the correct advice.

Most tortoises don't eat right away after coming out of hibernation. They have to be able to get their core temperature warm enough to digest the food.

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law's passing, but it's good of you to take the tortoise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Beautiful tortoise! Welcome to the forum.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Looks Greek to me, but I am not an expert. Lots of things are Greek to me! : )

OldManTort89

Suffolk
So we are still wondering what to do as he still hasn't eaten or drank any water... Any advice?

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
So we are still wondering what to do as he still hasn't eaten or drank any water... Any advice?
More information would help us solve that question. Give us information about your care such as enclosure size, substrate, diet, supplement, lighting, temp and humidity 😀

OldManTort89

Suffolk
More information would help us solve that question. Give us information about your care such as enclosure size, substrate, diet, supplement, lighting, temp and humidity 😀
As far as we aware, he has a box to sleep in with leaves, no lighting, but we have put out some cabbage and bread for him and a dish of water, he's in the kitchen at the moment

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Have you given him a long shallow soak in water? @Yvonne G or @Tom should be able to help you.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hello, thanks for reaching out and for taking on this tort, sorry about your father in law. It looks a fab tortoise, if you photovtge rear tail we can identify male or female.

Please read this document written by a breeder to help you get started.

Extra info:
*A shallow warm water soak for 30 mins in a high sided container helps hydration, cleaning ( you can use a soft toothbrush gently) and it may relive itself throw that out on the plants or down the loo.
*They love dandelions and there are masses, so go for a walk and find a non doggy area and pick, wash and serve or take fro your garden as long as you do not use weed killer.
*Tortoise generally hate change so you will see some effects of your different care and different owner.
Please ask questions as required.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please, no bread. It's not natural for them and can choke them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to get him set up in his own enclosure with the proper heat, basking light and uvb.
If you can make him a safe outdoor enclosure then you can put him outside during the warm days.
He needs to bask under an incandescent flood bulb that reaches 95-100 and needs uvb at least 3-4 times a week for about 3-4 hours each time. A large clay saucer to drink from and self soak.
Plus give him time to adjust to his new location but that should not be the floors of your home, but a proper enclosure.
I do believe it's a Greek.

OldManTort89

Suffolk
You need to get him set up in his own enclosure with the proper heat, basking light and uvb.
If you can make him a safe outdoor enclosure then you can put him outside during the warm days.
He needs to bask under an incandescent flood bulb that reaches 95-100 and needs uvb at least 3-4 times a week for about 3-4 hours each time. A large clay saucer to drink from and self soak.
Plus give him time to adjust to his new location but that should not be the floors of your home, but a proper enclosure.
I do believe it's a Greek.
So it's too early to put him outside? He was in the shed but we was worried about him being too cold and not having heatlamps

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, if it's still cold there, like it is where I am, 30's and 40's this week, then he does need to be set up with heat and uvb.
I think if you can get him set up in a proper enclosure, with correct temps and a daily routine of lights coming on then off at night and food after the morning soak, I think he will adjust better. Give him a daily warm soak to keep him hydrated, hydration is more important than food but then place him in front of the food. They need to bask under 95-100 temps to properly digest their food and to keep insides working properly.

Reactions: Ink

OldManTort89

Suffolk
So heatlamps going forward? We are giving him a nice soak and he seems well, he's looking more sprightly now and we will leave him some lettuce, we cannot be here 24/7 as we both work, but we do check in on him 🐢😁

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
With correct set up they can be trusted on their own! He is big / old enough not to have the flipping over issues we see in hatchlings 😂.

OldManTort89

Suffolk
Yeah, so that's what her dad used to do, keep him outside in a box, but he's inside now with heat and we are just about to get him outta his soak, but do we dry him or wrap him in a towel?