LOOK WHAT I FOUND

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Congrats on both of them, even though the first one is much cuter. ;)

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I will start looking Sept. 1. I have found ONE baby in each of the last 2 years even though i thought i dough up all the eggs... This year I didn't even look for eggs but with 4 laying i know there is some.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
My husband found another one today while I was at work (that is a total of 5). I will post pictures in the next day or so.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Are you going to keep them all?
I am probably just going to keep one. This year I hatched 33 hatchlings. This was an amazing year for eggs and hatchlings. I sold 8 more babies this week and to my surprise the 5 hatched in the enclosure with the last 3 eggs hatching in the incubator. I am wondering if there are more in the opposite end of the enclosure which has grapes leaves hiding the area and many hiding places. :)

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I am probably just going to keep one. This year I hatched 33 hatchlings. This was an amazing year for eggs and hatchlings. I sold 8 more babies this week and to my surprise the 5 hatched in the enclosure with the last 3 eggs hatching in the incubator. I am wondering if there are more in the opposite end of the enclosure which has grapes leaves hiding the area and many hiding places. :)
Are they Russians? How much do you sell them for?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
This morning I found another Russian hatchling in the adult Russian enclosure. There has to be a second nest that I missed earlier this year. I am on the lookout for more. I have looked and I cannot find where the two nests are. Would there be a small hold in the ground or what? :)

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
AW how fun was that! what a great surprise! Has this ever happened to you before?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats Carol!!! How cool is that. I want you to keep them for a while and compare their health and vigor to artificially hatched ones from the same parents. PLEASE!!! Pretty PLEEEEEEEAAASE?

They look absolutely fantastic.

If you can find the nest, yes, there will be a small opening at the surface. I have only found one of of six sulcata nests after hours of searching on hands and knees. Sulcatas babies are hatched at 35-40 grams. That's no small hole and I still couldn't find it, so good luck.

And for those who don't know, Carol has a large well planted EXCELLENT russian enclosure. Her adults looked very happy, healthy and contented in there. And they must actually be very happy, healthy and contented to be pumping out this many babies for her. I can also tell you that after a year, her babies are doing very well for me. They react (appropriately) to the seasons more than my other groups and their growth has been much more consistent as a group than my other groups. I HIGHLY recommend her babies to anyone looking for a russian.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
AW how fun was that! what a great surprise! Has this ever happened to you before?
Last year was the first year I had fertile eggs (11 hatchlings). This year I have hatched 38 hatchlings. This is the first year that I found hatchlings that hatched in the enclosure. 2014 is sure the year for fertile eggs!