Look what I found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
This little guy was almost roadkill. We found him driving around filling feeders south of San Antonio. What type of tortoise is this?

We fed him some cactus then let him on his way. :tort:

Attachments

• IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 92

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I dont know what kind he is but he or she sure is cute!! :)
So glad you saved his life!!!!!! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know what it is, but if its not native to where you live, it's someone's escaped pet and should be taken in and the owners found. If they can not be found you should house him/her for yourself.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think they already let him go on his way; so, no point in looking for its owner.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Taelor:

LOL! When I read your post I said to myself, "My oh my, what a talented tortoise to be able to drive and fill feeders!"

You did the right thing by leaving the tortoise where he was. It is a Texas tortoise and he's native to Texas, where you are. But if the occasion ever arises again, its a good idea to not pick it up. When you pick up a wild tortoise he might pee. They save their urine, sometimes for many weeks, and don't pee until they find a water source for a new drink. So making a wild tortoise pee by picking it up might put him in danger if there is no water available for him to replenish his supply.

What kind of feeders were you re-filling? Sounds like you have an interesting job/hobby.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh my gosh I didn't know this! Thank you! He/she didn't pee but ill keep that in mind. We have seen 2 more tortoises like this one but smaller(in the same road...). We are filling feeders for the deer on the property. We have seen whitetail and some turkeys so were feeding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.