Look what I found today....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Well, I was taking a walk today next to a canal (very large one that goes all the way to the everglades, and only about two miles away), and found a green line staked into the ground. The thing that stood out to me was the line used. It didn't look like typical fishing line (although I'm no fishermen). It was some kind of green twine, rather tough stuff.
But anyways, it wasn't the line or the stake. It was what I saw when I pulled the line in....
photo-46.JPG

photo-47.JPG
Excuse the horrible pictures, as I was trying not to disturb her to much. She's a beautiful 16 inch florida soft-shell (apalone ferox), for those who don't know. The poor girl was stuck there, with a hook way back in her mouth. I've taken hooks out before, but unfortunately, its to far back into her mouth, and she's to angry. She'll be going to a vet friend of mine to be put under and have the hook removed.
I just can't believe people do this. I'm no fishermen, but this seemed specifically designed for catching turtles. Something seems horribly cruel about catching a turtle on a hook. It's one thing to catch fish with hooks; they don't have as much feeling. For a turtle, its very painful....
I take walks like this a lot, and I always cut any baited hooks like this I find. I could care less whether they are trying to catch something else other then a turtle; they very likely may catch a turtle. And usually, from what I've seen, those people don't know how to take the hook out. They just cut the line and let that turtle swim away with a hook lodged in its mouth. This can prevent them from being able to eat it; or worse, they might swallow the hook.
Unfortunately, this is legal in florida, except in may 1st through july 31st (egg-laying season).

But regardless, she will be able to go back to her home with minor injures within a week...This girl might have some eggs in store for the coming months :).

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ya, your the angel she needed. Poor thing. Thankfully we will never understand those kind of people. We would have to be as cruel as them to understand. So glad you took that walk. Would be nice to get a pic of her release :D

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
WOW!! I think I would come unglued seeing something like this!!! What has happened to our "race"?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Tim/Robin said:
WOW!! I think I would come unglued seeing something like this!!! What has happened to our "race"?

I know....I mean, I know some fishermen do this style of fishing for catfish (at least I think...Short 8-10 foot lines, baited hooks, staked in the ground. Sounds like catfish, right?) , but it could also have been intentional to catch the turtle. I know in more rural areas people eat turtles, but most of the people around me are rather "richy-rich" so I wouldn't expect them to be eating them (or gutting them....). So who knows what it was for, but regardless, I just wish people did NOT use baited hooks like this! No matter your intention, this is what can happen :(.
And the sad part would have been, this is a BIG girl. She's definitely got some eggs in store for this season, and even though they aren't endangered, I'd still hate to see her denied the chance to contribute to her race...
I just hope the hook can be removed easily...Pray for her speedy recovery :).

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I've seen this kind of baiting done for the purpose of catching the turtles. Not to eat them, but rather to kill them and eliminate that bit of competition for the fish. Walking around a farm pond in Kansas and seeing dozens of skeletal turtle remains absolutely broke my heart.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep, They also use lines like that to get alligators to. I hate seeing a hurt animal just suffering. I like to hunt and fish but I kill what I hunt as humanely as posable.But you have people that just kill them because they don't like them. Just like snakes people kill thousands of harmless animals due too ignorance.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Edna said:
I've seen this kind of baiting done for the purpose of catching the turtles. Not to eat them, but rather to kill them and eliminate that bit of competition for the fish. Walking around a farm pond in Kansas and seeing dozens of skeletal turtle remains absolutely broke my heart.

An interesting thought, and one I've never heard of, but I don't think there would be any use in that here. The canal is almost 200 feet wide, and stretches probably 8-10 miles (thats just as far as I've followed it), and goes right out to the everglades. Its chalk-full of turtles, so I don't see how they would be able to eliminate them....I see about 10 turtle heads every time I walk down there. In the same walk I found her on, I saw another big soft-shell right next to the shore that took off.
I'm really curious as to what their reasoning could have been though....

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
RedfootsRule said:
An interesting thought, and one I've never heard of, but I don't think there would be any use in that here. The canal is almost 200 feet wide, and stretches probably 8-10 miles (thats just as far as I've followed it), and goes right out to the everglades. Its chalk-full of turtles, so I don't see how they would be able to eliminate them....I see about 10 turtle heads every time I walk down there. In the same walk I found her on, I saw another big soft-shell right next to the shore that took off.

Yeah, but I have seen people catch alligator gar and kill them in big lakes thinking I'll get them one at a time.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
mike taylor said:
RedfootsRule said:

Yeah, but I have seen people catch alligator gar and kill them in big lakes thinking I'll get them one at a time.

True. Maybe some out there are just that incompetent...

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
RedfootsRule said:
mike taylor said:
RedfootsRule said:

Maybe they're mathematically challenged.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Edna said:
RedfootsRule said:
mike taylor said:
RedfootsRule said:

Maybe they're mathematically challenged.

Possibly. They misunderstand that the elimination of one does not result in the decimation of ten thousand? I think there was some multiplication issues here....

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Oh my, glad you found her! She is beautiful. I just don't understand how people can be so cruel.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Unfortunately, I've heard they have a lot of people that catch them..Mostly for meat, I believe. :/

Very good save. Beautiful girl, and I hope she makes a full recovery. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.