Long Nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
How do I trim my Russian tortoises nails? Because they were Long when I got him, but I dot know how to trim them! See how long they are?!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Russians have longer nails than some torts. They are diggers, plain and simple, and need to be able to dig through hard packed ground that is full of rocks, so nature made them that way. Your tort's nails are a LITTLE too long, but not bad, really.

Trimming a tortoise's nails is similar to trimming the nails of a dog, cat, rabbit, etc. You want to make sure to use a nice SHARP pair of nippers, because their nails are thick and strong. Dog clippers work perfect, but they have to be SHARP or they can split or shatter the nail and that is not good. You do not want to cut too much initially, because just like with a dog or other animal, the longer the nail gets the longer the "quick" is. The quick is the part in the center of the nail that contains nerves and blood vessels. Animals can literally bleed to death from having the quick cut into. It is best to have some styptic powder on hand to stop any bleeding that occurs.

Trim a little at a time, allowing a couple of weeks in between trims. Feed your tortoise on a rough piece of slate or cement, and this will help wear down the beak and nails. Allow outside time and digging to keep them worn down as well.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Kristina said:
Russians have longer nails than some torts. They are diggers, plain and simple, and need to be able to dig through hard packed ground that is full of rocks, so nature made them that way. Your tort's nails are a LITTLE too long, but not bad, really.

Trimming a tortoise's nails is similar to trimming the nails of a dog, cat, rabbit, etc. You want to make sure to use a nice SHARP pair of nippers, because their nails are thick and strong. Dog clippers work perfect, but they have to be SHARP or they can split or shatter the nail and that is not good. You do not want to cut too much initially, because just like with a dog or other animal, the longer the nail gets the longer the "quick" is. The quick is the part in the center of the nail that contains nerves and blood vessels. Animals can literally bleed to death from having the quick cut into. It is best to have some styptic powder on hand to stop any bleeding that occurs.

Trim a little at a time, allowing a couple of weeks in between trims. Feed your tortoise on a rough piece of slate or cement, and this will help wear down the beak and nails. Allow outside time and digging to keep them worn down as well.

I understand that Russians have longer nails but they are even longer in person then in those pictures and they are RAZOR sharp, like they HURT when he digs his nails in your hand. And I can't feed him on cement because he only eats grass that is still in the lawn (which he is VERY picky about) and he'll only eat from his bowl if he's in his terrarium! he won't even eat from my hand! (I think his preivious owners hurt him and were rough with him)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They are a tad (scientific term) long but nothing really to worry about, I would try and wear them down naturally. Or if you want try some sand paper to wear them o=down. They should be sharp BTW.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Great information from Kristina. That is the same why that I cut my; parrots, cats, and puppy. Just remember to trim a little bit at a time. For my hatchlings I have a small piece of slate that seem to keep their nails fine (for now). I believe that you can use a little bit of flour if you don't have styptic. Or maybe you can just file them a little.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Kristina said:
You do not want to cut too much initially, because just like with a dog or other animal, the longer the nail gets the longer the "quick" is ... Trim a little at a time, allowing a couple of weeks in between trims.

Wow, I didn't know that. Good to know!

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Hamilton, ON
Good question! I would think that having a couple of rocks would help to trim their nails, my guy's are not as long as yours but i didn't know that they had quicks too. Interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.