Lizzi, 38 inherited 3 redfoot from kaijuemily

PnkByrd84

Location (City and/or State)
CORNING
My name is Lizzi I'm 38. I just inherited 3 redfoot tortioses when my cousin passed away. Her username was kaijuemily. So I was thinking you guys may know these guys a little. Artimus will be 9 on the 24 of this month, and I don't know about the other guys. She hatched them. I think they're maybe 3 or 4. I know nothing about tortioses. I could totally use some help. I made them an enclosure in a cupboard but I take them out every day. We are still using a kiddie pool for sunshine but I plan to build a big outdoor enclosure for them. I picked them up in Oregon so they're loving the california sunshine.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Welcome to the forum. We did know KaijuEmily, we are happy to hear her tortoises ended up with someone who cares.

@ZEROPILOT and @Alex and the Redfoot can help you with redfoots specifically, you should also look at the care sheets on this site. I’ll link the first one for you after this

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Start here. It’s a LOT to digest but the best place to start:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
My name is Lizzi I'm 38. I just inherited 3 redfoot tortioses when my cousin passed away. Her username was kaijuemily. So I was thinking you guys may know these guys a little. Artimus will be 9 on the 24 of this month, and I don't know about the other guys. She hatched them. I think they're maybe 3 or 4. I know nothing about tortioses. I could totally use some help. I made them an enclosure in a cupboard but I take them out every day. We are still using a kiddie pool for sunshine but I plan to build a big outdoor enclosure for them. I picked them up in Oregon so they're loving the california sunshine.
Hello and welcome!

Thank you for taking care of them! Please, stay in touch and ask questions. We'll do our best to help.

Can you post photos of your tortoises (including photos of their "belly" and tail areas)? To get an idea of their health and, maybe, sex. 3 females can live together happily but 3 males - can not.

And the photo of the indoor enclosure. Redfoots like warm and humid environment, so we need to invent something with a cupboard. When letting them outside in a kiddy pool, please ensure, that there is some shade available.

Below some reading to get started with tortoises (and redfoots, especially). I would recommend reading from 3 to 1 (easier to get started):

1. General care information (already linked above): https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
2. Redfoots-specific care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/
3. Feeding plans: https://tortoiselibrary.com/nutrition-2/diet-plans-omnivore/

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Also if you go to the search bar in the upper right corner you can search for posts by KaijuEmily and you can see what she wrote about the tortoises and learn that way.

@Maggie3fan also has photos she can share of her redfoot setup

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I'm so sorry about your cousin. I'm glad you are taking care of her tortoises. She really enjoyed having them. Welcome to the forum.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi...I am sorry to hear about your friend...here are a couple of photos of my RedFoot enclosure, I hope this helps...this is a mini greenhouse placed over a hand made wooden tort table. There is several inches of fine grade orchid bark..It says a consistent 85 degrees with 85% to 95% humidity...DSCN2492.JPG
This is a 3 year old Layla...with her opinion of her empty food dish...DSCN2247.JPGRedfoot's diet seems to be the easiest of all tortoises, berries, protein (worms), her favorite food is mushroomsDSCN2497.JPGDSCN2423.JPG
To me Redfoot's are about the easiest tortoises to care for...In Corning those Redfoots will so much enjoy the great weather...but at times it does get too cold there at night, so they will need a warm enclosure to sleep in.
Please stay and continue to ask questions... we are glad to help you...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. Yes, we knew her, and I'm very glad the tortoises have been given to you and you are here on the Forum!