Hello from Southern California with 2 Desert Torts

Rapid Fire Mama

Hello! My name is Anna and I have 2 Desert Torts that were rescued as hatchlings. They were very sickly and near death upon rescue and were nursed back to health by a friend for the first year of their lives. We adopted them when they were about a year old and have had them for two years now, making them approximately 3 years old. They are hibernating for the first time and are about ready to come out as it is warming up here. I am researching enclosure ideas as they have outgrown their previous one.

Any tips for waking these little guys up? I know to offer water first. I don't want to shock them and just put them back outside if they aren't ready. How do I know?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Not to sound simplistic, but the tortoises will know when it is time. They will become active, start roaming. Oh yes they will want to eat :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Anna welcome to the TFO from AZ . All of mine are out today . But tonight it will be in the 50's so they aren't ready to eat yet . Mine are kept outside . But I gave them clean water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anna, and welcome to the forum!

My desert tortoises live outside. After I un-block their shelter door in the spring, they just come out on their own, and start eating and drinking whenever they're ready.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello! My name is Anna and I have 2 Desert Torts that were rescued as hatchlings. They were very sickly and near death upon rescue and were nursed back to health by a friend for the first year of their lives. We adopted them when they were about a year old and have had them for two years now, making them approximately 3 years old. They are hibernating for the first time and are about ready to come out as it is warming up here. I am researching enclosure ideas as they have outgrown their previous one.

Any tips for waking these little guys up? I know to offer water first. I don't want to shock them and just put them back outside if they aren't ready. How do I know?

Welcome...where are they brumating? Indoors or out?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Welcome Anna! Congrats on hosting your two little ones.
They get fidgety and are awake more than slumbering sleepy.
I assume because they are so little that you have them in a box rather than outdoors.
A nice tepid soak would be lovely for them if they are indeed up and ready to get to spring.