Little white lines

fatgarry

Location (City and/or State)
Fareham
We live in a hard water area which causes limescale on everting, so I use natural rain water for my guy. But he still get these thin white lines. I have given him scubs with a soft toothbrush but it hasn't touched it. It also looks to be getting more prevalent. Any ideas 20230904_175727.jpg

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
We live in a hard water area which causes limescale on everting, so I use natural rain water for my guy. But he still get these thin white lines. I have given him scubs with a soft toothbrush but it hasn't touched it. It also looks to be getting more prevalent. Any ideas View attachment 361080
Looks like growth lines to me, or marbling

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those are growth lines. Please don't try to scrub them off. They will not come off and they are softer than normal when they first appear.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, rain water is good for a rinse after soaking, but its not good for soaking or drinking. They need regular mineralized water for drinking and soaking.

If your water is really exceptionally bad, you cold do a half and half mix with the rain water to dilute the minerals.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi, that is growth and good to have your looking for slow even shell. I recommend rubbing coconut oil into the top shell and the scute new growth joins to help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi, that is growth and good to have your looking for slow even shell. I recommend rubbing coconut oil into the top shell and the scute new growth joins to help.
Isn't the coconut oil a specific kind? Not just any coconut oil?
Also need to be careful with any oil as it can attract bugs that could be harmful.
High humidity is also needed and will grow a smooth tortoise, but with top layer of substrate dry.
Wet the underside of the substrate pouring warm water into the corners, just enough to dampen the bottom layer.