Little plant inside my habitat

HotdogKnight

Location (City and/or State)
Southampton, UK
That makes me wonder, if I were to plop some seeds into the soil with my tort and they grew alongside him, given that he doesn't eat/trample them straight away will they work out fine? Is there ever a risk of a tort over eating if you leave a plant with them?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
That makes me wonder, if I were to plop some seeds into the soil with my tort and they grew alongside him, given that he doesn't eat/trample them straight away will they work out fine? Is there ever a risk of a tort over eating if you leave a plant with them?

I doubt they'd be able to overeat on the good stuff, but if you plant something directly inside the enclosure you need to protect it. I use wicker fencing which is taller than my tortoise and he respects it as a barrier.

My hermann's tortoise systematically killed every edible plant that was taller than half an inch and his enclosure id 11.5 by 11.5 feet!

Once the plants are taller they sometimes tend to survive (a little bit) longer. ;)

It is amazing though to see them forage for themselves. Especially when they try to reach leaved which are up high!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Me too! When I took this picture, i thought for sure that he was going to eat it. He smelled it, rubbed it up against his nose and moved on.

Maybe he can tell by the smell that it's not good to eat. Smart little guy! :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
For a special treat for my Elsa, I will get a Romaine plant from a friend (she grows bunches of them for her rabbits) and plant it in her enclosure. It's got to be 5 times taller than her, but boy HOWDY- she literally tackles that thing!!!! It may take her 3 days, but she eats it down to a nub in the dirt! :)
Food AND entertainment all in one! Does it get any better than that?!???!?!! :D:D:D