Little Photo Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
I felt inspired to get some fresh pancake photos tonight. There's a few here that I couldn't get to for the pics, but here's the majority. The radiating patterns on these are every bit as brilliant as any star tortoise I've ever seen. Enjoy!

Pancake2.JPG

This is my biggest male -
Pancake1.JPG

Pancake3.JPG

Pancake4.JPG

PancakeGroup2.JPG

PancakeGroup3.JPG

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, those are striking. Such unique color patterns! :D

[Tyler, there's a post on here from ihaveaquestion3, who volunteered at a Phoenix shelter with "200" Sulcatas needing homes--I know you've said in the past that you never have trouble finding homes for Sulcata, so I recommended he contact you in case you have any Arizona clients looking for Sulcatas right now.]

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Got a photo today of one of their rock piles.... You can't really tell from the photo, but there's a deep center to it, where it is below ground a bit and stays very cool in the summer (not much above about 95 when it's 115 outside). They tend to stay deep in it. All the rocks are set on deeper-set rocks and firm foundations so they can't dig and loosen any of the rocks in the pile.

You can kinda see the little rim overhang around the enclosure which helps keep them in. This particular enclosure is only about 8x8'. They don't use or need much more than that for a small group.

PancakeSetup2.JPG

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks for sharing, I wish you would take more pictures, your animals are beautiful and I so love the creative hides.

flapjack torts

5 Year Member
WOW! AMAZING PICTURES! Thank you for sharing! Love 'em! The general saying that the males have less markings than the females is wrong in your bunch! That male is one handsome devil! Please post as many pictures as you like! I'll never get tired of looking at them! ;)

You've inspired me to crack out the good camera....heehee

Pics to follow soon!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
It's still a rule that I believe (that females are on average prettier than males), but I was able to pick from large groups of them, so I had the chance to grab the pretty males.

Maggie - I'll keep trying to get photos. I don't take too many pics of the actual enclosures, kinda for a few reasons. We are moving lots of the tortoises this summer and fall to a new property we got a few miles away that will be much better for them, larger, more secure, etc so it will all be moved. We have already started taking out and/or rearranging some of the enclosures here, so it's kinda a mess nowadays.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How is their personality in comparison to other species. Are they very shy?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Well, they hide a lot, yes.... Shy? Maybe not so much.... I mean, lots of species when you walk past, many of them will hide into their shells. Pancakes aren't this way as much as some other things (leopards, stars, for example). They do hide a lot, probably because their shells are so soft that they just have to naturally to keep from being eaten. It's not like a leopard or sulcata that is big enough and tough enough that the shell just protects them. Pancakes would be pretty easy for anything to chew through. Many people keep them in wide open enclosures so they don't notice that they like to hide (because they don't have that option), but when set up with options (hiding areas) they hide a lot (95% of their life).

Status
Not open for further replies.