Lilacs??? Thoughts

Just noticed that lilacs are safe for tortoises, leaves and flowers. Thoughts please on this, I have many lilacs on the property. I like checking many sources when I learn something new and this forum is one of my more favored sources.

Thanks. We have 5 lilacs in the yard, along with all other kinds of edible weeds and flowers. In my 2 years of research before we finally got Geronimo I never noticed lilacs as a possible safe food. Didn't really think about it I guess, thinking more about weeds a things to grow inside. Goes to show you no matter how much you research you can always learn something new lol.

Prairie Mom

My tortoise only voluntarily eats lilacs when the leaves are young and just coming out of the buds.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
My tortoise only voluntarily eats lilacs when the leaves are young and just coming out of the buds.
I planted lilacs for the torts. They don't touch them. I trick them in the winter though when I gather the leafs and feed it to them then. Tricking them is the key sometimes.
Haha! :D

I should have added the rider to my post that you can have the most amazing, plentiful source of perfect tort food available but that doesn't mean your tort will deign to eat it. We have several things like that in our garden :D