Lighting/Heating for Dome

nathanlevi

Location (City and/or State)
California, North Hollywood, LA
I need help for what kind of lightbulb I need to get for a dome for my leopard tortoise because I was told that my current light bulb is bad and is not allowing the tortoise to grow so if someone could send me a link to where you got yours (assuming it is good). Also I was told my red heat lamp was causing the tortoise to eat the soil he was living on so if I could also get a link to a good heat bulb for a 10 gal that would be great. Thanks
emoji217.png

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I need help for what kind of lightbulb I need to get for a dome for my leopard tortoise because I was told that my current light bulb is bad and is not allowing the tortoise to grow so if someone could send me a link to where you got yours (assuming it is good). Also I was told my red heat lamp was causing the tortoise to eat the soil he was living on so if I could also get a link to a good heat bulb for a 10 gal that would be great. Thanks
emoji217.png
10 gallon tank? I didn't know if I was reading that right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think 10 gallon would be far too small.

daniellenc

Maryland
I’d go for the 75 gallon now believe me it’s not too big!! What kind of dome do you have? I’d get a ceramic heat emitter or CHE for heat screwed into the dome and just use UVB/UVA bulbs for light.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
he is a baby I am planning to move him into a 75 which I already bought
Ok good, I have a couple little 10 gallon tanks and I tried picturing trying to manage a warm side cool side with a big dome sitting over that little thing...lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emoji217.png
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height.
Your tank is much too small. Please read these and make the necessary changes:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
can leopard tortoises absorb sunlight when not being in the sun
Well the answer to your question is an obvious "no", but I think you are meaning to be asking something else.

Want to rephrase and ask again? I'm not really sure what you are asking.

nathanlevi

no thats what I meant because I heard somewhere that they said something like even when not being in the sun they can absorb sunlight but now I know that is wrong. Also can I take him/her outside in 65-70. And when can you tell your leopard tortoises gender? Thanks for all the help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
no thats what I meant because I heard somewhere that they said something like even when not being in the sun they can absorb sunlight but now I know that is wrong. Also can I take him/her outside in 65-70. And when can you tell your leopard tortoises gender? Thanks for all the help
Oh, I know what you mean. UV rays refract and bounce around outside, so yes, they can get some UV benefit when they are outside, even if they are not in direct sun. That amount is minimal though. Probably not enough to do any good.

65-70, dry, low wind, and sunny, should be okay. Use a temp gun and measure ground temps and tortoise carapace temps.

Usually you can tell the gender by about 6-8" on a leopard tortoise. Sometimes sooner.

nathanlevi

Oh, I know what you mean. UV rays refract and bounce around outside, so yes, they can get some UV benefit when they are outside, even if they are not in direct sun. That amount is minimal though. Probably not enough to do any good.

65-70, dry, low wind, and sunny, should be okay. Use a temp gun and measure ground temps and tortoise carapace temps.

Usually you can tell the gender by about 6-8" on a leopard tortoise. Sometimes sooner.
Thanks yeah thats what I meant. When i take my tortoise outside I have him in this clear plastic 4 inch tall box filled with 1 inch dirt and I stay with him outside. am i supposed to let him wander and watch him or is what I am doing good. and what do you do if you take your tortoises and you have no structure or outdoor enclosure for them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks yeah thats what I meant. When i take my tortoise outside I have him in this clear plastic 4 inch tall box filled with 1 inch dirt and I stay with him outside. am i supposed to let him wander and watch him or is what I am doing good. and what do you do if you take your tortoises and you have no structure or outdoor enclosure for them?
You should always have the tortoise in a large enclosure. On cool days it can be mostly in the sun, but on hot days it should be mostly in the shade.
Here are three good ways to do it for a baby:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/cheap-easy-simple-sunning-enclosure.14680/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/simple-sunning-enclosure.104351/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

And more ideas:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosures.121732/