Lighting AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar64

5 Year Member
Ok, I apologize up front for bringing up lighting again. My breeder suggested Exo Terra UVB 10.0 26 W former Repti gloss 10.0 compact. I'm soooo confused based on what I am reading. Should I get rid of this and go with a mercury vapor bulb ? If so what wattage. I can't get any straight answers and from what I've read there is a possiblility of blindness. I don't want to take any chances.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Everyone you talk to is going to have a different opinion. You must choose whose opinion you wish to follow? Does your breeder have smooth healthy sulcatas of all ages?

I have personally seen those coil bulbs damage tortoise eyes. I would not use them.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Tom said:
Everyone you talk to is going to have a different opinion. You must choose whose opinion you wish to follow? Does your breeder have smooth healthy sulcatas of all ages?

I have personally seen those coil bulbs damage tortoise eyes. I would not use them.

And Tom has smooth, healthy Sulcatas of various ages.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And I listened to my breeder before I found this forum and I have a pyramided leopard. However, thanks to this forum, I was able to get him to start growing new growth in smooth. So, what I am saying, is follow the opinions of this forum, if you want the best, correct info. BTW, the coil bulbs have been known to harm not on,y tortoises eyes, but many other reptiles.

dar64

5 Year Member
I'm changing it . Can you tell me exactly which light and what strength to purchase. Thank you

Tom said:

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
A temp gun is a fabulous investment, it will help you bunches. I like the Powersun bulbs, strength is just based on what you're working with.

PS: I'm glad you are listening to the forum, I waffled at first, trying to listen to my local "experts" Trust me, TFO is the place to be!

dar64

5 Year Member
pugsandkids said:
Ok Thank you. are power sun light, mercury vapor bulbs. Is that the brand ? Where do you find a temp gun

A temp gun is a fabulous investment, it will help you bunches. I like the Powersun bulbs, strength is just based on what you're working with.

PS: I'm glad you are listening to the forum, I waffled at first, trying to listen to my local "experts" Trust me, TFO is the place to be!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Concerning TFO member advice verse other advise, here, you are getting first hand knowledge/information from people that are actively keeping tortoises. Same maybe true from the breeder you purchased your baby from. The big difference between them, is here folks just want what is best for your tortoise verses your repeat business.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are many factors that go into deciding which heating and lighting strategy will work best for you. Species, age/size, your climate and current weather, enclosure type and size, just to name a few. We'd be glad to make suggestions based on our personal preferences and experiences, but we'll need a little info first.

Where are you? This matters because if you are in a warm Southern state your tortoise will get real sunshine year round, as opposed to some one with frozen winters.

What species, size and age are we talking about?

What type and size enclosure? Open top? Glass tank? Big tortoise table?

What are the typical temps in the room where the enclosure is?

As a general strategy, I like to use a flood bulb on a timer and a Ceramic Heating Element on a thermostat. The flood bulb can be a MVB or just a regular hardware store type bulb if you don't need the UV. I set the timer for 12 hours to simulate the sun and adjust the height of the fixture to get the right basking temp. The CHE on a thermostat maintains my ambient temps day and night.

Status
Not open for further replies.