Light for Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlesquirt

5 Year Member
What is the best type of light for the tortoise? Can someone direct me to a site where i can purchase the proper lighting for the tortoise. this is all new to me. Thank you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It would help to know what type of tortoise and how old, as lighting needs vary.:tort:

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum:) first off what kind of tort do you have ? how much outside time (sun light )does it get ?

littlesquirt

5 Year Member
Jacqui, I know so little. I inherited the tortoise from my son. He is about 6-8 inches so i think he is pretty young.. I believe he is a red-footed tortoise? Thanks for you help. right now i have a clamp light with UV Bulb. I am concerned it is not enough and also read they can go blind with clamp and angle so i have now put a screen across the cage and lay clamp light to face directly down like the sun... but i may need a long lamp with what is the best bulb - can you advise???

I have a picture of him if i can figure out how to attach it. that may help.

Do you know how i add an image?

He is a red-footed i believe? not sure since i inherited him. We live in Illinois so he indoors all winter and in the summer i build a pen for him and he is outside some in the pen.

I have a clamp light that lays flat facing down on a screen into his cage right now. We are in Illinois and so he is indoors all winter. In the summer i built a pen for him and put him out a few hours a day if weather permits.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

littlesquirt

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Littlesquirt:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are? Hi. My name is Marcy. I live in Illinois so the tortoise is indoors all winter. In the summer i try to get him out a few hours a day if the weather permits.

Thanks for direction to Terryo - is that another person on the forum and i can view here in this forum?
Thank you for your help.

Is your redfoot tortoise in the house all the time? Take a look at some of Terryo's habitats for her redfoot tortoises. They'll give you a very good idea of what to do for your tortoise:

That link to TerryO was helpful to inside of habitat, any pictures of habitats where it also displays the lighting type and position about the habitat?? thank you.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Red-foot lighting is pretty easy. At 6-8" long, it would be almost an adult to a young adult. The reason for this comment is that young tortoises are very shy and do not like a lot of light.

The goal for tortoise lighting is to simulate sunlight- the color spectrum (sometimes called the Color Rendering Index and/or the Color Temperature), the general brightness, and the duration. The last two are the easiest- offer light for about 12 hours a day. Using a timer helps with this. Aim for enough light to take a nice photo without flash, but not blindingly bright.

Color spectrum is awkward. The ideal light would include all colors about evenly, as well as a good amount of UV light, especially what is called 'UVB'. There is no one bulb that does this properly. A lot of people don't worry about this, and it is not really vital if your tortoise has access to good sunlight (unfiltered by glass, plastic or fine screen) for about an hour a week.

Before I go on, it is important to understand that Red-foot tortoises are a wet grasslands species. Some people, including some on this forum, think they are a forest species that is light shy and does not need UV light. While they certainly do OK in poor light, they will do better in the proper light.

Another thing to understand is that bulbs that look like they put out white light really do not. A cool-white fluorescent bulb, for example, puts out mostly blues and greens. A warm-white does mostly yellow and red.

Creating a balanced color lighting system takes at least two bulbs, and is easiest to figure if you start with the UV. Some examples:
- Mercury vapor UVB bulb, combined with a cool-white, plant light, or standard incandescent bulb
- UVB-style fluorescent bulb, combined with a warm-white or super-white fluorescent or standard incandescent bulb
- for larger systems, a bank of 4, 48" or longer, 'fat' fluorescent daylight or super-white bulbs

One nice thing about using multiple bulbs is that you can usually use the non-UVB bulb for the 12 hour period, and the UVB for about 6 hours a day. This saves your UVB bulb and helps simulate natural daylight better.

littlesquirt

5 Year Member
Mark thanks so much for the feedback. I really appreciate your help. I suspect I can find the lighting at Pet Supplies Plus for example, so I am now going to tackle setting up proper lighting for squirtle!

Red-foot lighting is pretty easy. At 6-8" long, it would be almost an adult to a young adult. The reason for this comment is that young tortoises are very shy and do not like a lot of light.

The goal for tortoise lighting is to simulate sunlight- the color spectrum (sometimes called the Color Rendering Index and/or the Color Temperature), the general brightness, and the duration. The last two are the easiest- offer light for about 12 hours a day. Using a timer helps with this. Aim for enough light to take a nice photo without flash, but not blindingly bright.

Color spectrum is awkward. The ideal light would include all colors about evenly, as well as a good amount of UV light, especially what is called 'UVB'. There is no one bulb that does this properly. A lot of people don't worry about this, and it is not really vital if your tortoise has access to good sunlight (unfiltered by glass, plastic or fine screen) for about an hour a week.

Before I go on, it is important to understand that Red-foot tortoises are a wet grasslands species. Some people, including some on this forum, think they are a forest species that is light shy and does not need UV light. While they certainly do OK in poor light, they will do better in the proper light.

Another thing to understand is that bulbs that look like they put out white light really do not. A cool-white fluorescent bulb, for example, puts out mostly blues and greens. A warm-white does mostly yellow and red.

Creating a balanced color lighting system takes at least two bulbs, and is easiest to figure if you start with the UV. Some examples:
- Mercury vapor UVB bulb, combined with a cool-white, plant light, or standard incandescent bulb
- UVB-style fluorescent bulb, combined with a warm-white or super-white fluorescent or standard incandescent bulb
- for larger systems, a bank of 4, 48" or longer, 'fat' fluorescent daylight or super-white bulbs

One nice thing about using multiple bulbs is that you can usually use the non-UVB bulb for the 12 hour period, and the UVB for about 6 hours a day. This saves your UVB bulb and helps simulate natural daylight better.

littlesquirt

5 Year Member
I'm in a small town, near Dixon. Is there a light at Pet Supples Plus that you recommend for the red-footed tortoise?

That link to TerryO was helpful to inside of habitat, any pictures of habitats where it also displays the lighting type and position about the habitat?? thank you.

Jacqui, I know so little. I inherited the tortoise from my son. He is about 6-8 inches so i think he is pretty young.. I believe he is a red-footed tortoise? Thanks for you help. right now i have a clamp light with UV Bulb. I am concerned it is not enough and also read they can go blind with clamp and angle so i have now put a screen across the cage and lay clamp light to face directly down like the sun... but i may need a long lamp with what is the best bulb - can you advise???

I have a picture of him if i can figure out how to attach it. that may help.

Do you know how i add an image?

He is a red-footed i believe? not sure since i inherited him. We live in Illinois so he indoors all winter and in the summer i build a pen for him and he is outside some in the pen.

I have a clamp light that lays flat facing down on a screen into his cage right now. We are in Illinois and so he is indoors all winter. In the summer i built a pen for him and put him out a few hours a day if weather permits.

redfoot925

5 Year Member
Are you talking of the pet supplies plus in Naperville? I am right in plainfield and I shop at Suburban Reptile, it is family owned and actually cheaper then petmart I use the UVB strip light (by Zilla called the slimming desert fixture) UVA I use the dome lamp (holder) the bulb is made by exo terra sun glo :) Let me know how things workout :)

littlesquirt

5 Year Member
I am about two hours from Plainfield in cornfields!! So do you think it is ok to get the combo light fixture that Rzilla makes - is UVB and then a heat and a daylight bulb combo with a timer? And do i get so only in one section of the enclosure or should it cover and span the entire closure that the tortoise lives in? THanks for help. If i head into the burbs i may check out your store! Thank you.

redfoot925

5 Year Member
If it's the combo I am thinking of I am not a big fan of that one, I tried that for my aquatic turtles and the bulbs went bad every other day, if possible try to find the slimline fixture for UVB and the clamp with the UVA basking bulb will work great, if you do not have a heating pad in there I do recommend the night glo moonlight bulb that will maintain a good temp

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
This is how my 48" x 20" habitat is set up for lighting...

A mercury vapor bulb with UVB output (like a Powersun) is set up 12-16" over the substrate (I can adjust it as needed). It is set on a 6 hour timer. This provides 'mid-day' warmth, UVB and UVA lighting (All UVB bulbs also produce UVA. No need for a separate bulb.)

A plain coiled fluorescent bulb is set high overhead (about 26" from the substrate) to provide more color balance. it is set on a 12 hour timer. The habitat is also in front of a window, so the natural sunlight helps provide balanced color, although not UVB since it cannot penetrate glass.

A largish ceramic heat emitter is positioned on the other end also an adjustable 12-16" from the substrate. It is hooked up to a thermostat so the temps under it are pretty regulated.

There are photos of my set-up at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Happy-Habitat-Rebuilding-Day.

littlesquirt

5 Year Member
Oh Mark, thank you for the feedback. I couldn't get your link to your setup to load - get 404 error. I am anxious to see and I think it will help me a lot. We built an enclosure that is 48" by 24" so similiar size and i am excited to see your setup because I would like to try to duplicate. Do you have links to locations where i can purchase the lighting you speak of? I have been told the typical pet stores don't carry quality lighting - not typically anyway?

Please send link again if you would. My email is [email protected] if that would make things easier? THank you, thank you!!
Marcy

littlesquirt

5 Year Member
Mark, I have redone the enclosure for squirtle, my red-foot tortoise. I got rid of the sand the hay! I have filled the bottom with mulch and put a ceramic plant tray in with water there are rocks and logs and i have a fern. I did put his box back in there too... after all that work he seems to migrate to that box!!! ugh... He used to borrow into the hay and hide - would it be bad to continue to put some in the enclosre?

Now, i must work on the lighting. From your post it looks like i need a MVB with a deep dome? a ceramic heater because temps at night dip to mid 60's in his room and I need a flourescent setup for the third type of balance light/heat correct? Let me know if i am on the right track because i hate to spend a ton of money and get the wrong things. I will send an attach a pix soon - - i believe i can do so with attachment? correct?

Also, I need to know - should i get the waterproof heated coil to put on bottom and the ceramic heater both? Thanks for help. Marcy

littlesquirt

5 Year Member
DSC04066.JPGDSC04063.JPGDSC04070.JPG
I need to know - should i get the waterproof heated coil to put on bottom and the ceramic heater both?

I have attached pictures of squirtle's home so you can see where I am at so far and feel free to comment. There is mulch on bottom, a tray for water, logs and plants for hiding (and of course his box which he still loves!!). I replaced the fern with artificial plants that you see now. Kate had mentioned there is a concern about pesticides and it is so much easier for me to care for artificial. I fear I might kill the real ones!!

Once I hear from you if I need to get heat coil on bottom and/or ceramic above (need to know if i need both?) then i will get a MVB with deep dome, and incadescent and the heat coil and/or ceramic heater (whatever you suggest). All he has now is that UVB basking lamp - so my next step is to update the lighting once i get direction. Thank you. I sure do appreciate!

Thanks for help. Marcy

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/private.php?action=read&pmid=78482#ixzz1Ld9YRAKQ

Last edited by a moderator:

jason

5 Year Member
make sure his water dish isnt to deep (over his head)

Status
Not open for further replies.