light fixture distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a ZooMed powersun uv 100w bulb. i am not to sure how far i should keep it from the substrate or my russian tortoise. right now its 13" from the substrate. is that to far or to close? or any other opinions would be great!

Thank You!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The different brands of UVB have different instructions on the box. Have you already tossed the box?

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I believe the recommendation from PowerSun is 12" from the top of the shell. I let temperature be the guide. What is the temp of the substrate beneath the light? What is the temp of your torts shell after he spends some time basking? If you don't have one, I recommend getting a temp gun. They run about $20-$30 depending on where you purchase. I got mine at HomeDepot for $26. I love it and it really helps when adjusting lights and other fixtures because you don't need to wait for a thermometer or remote temp probe to reach temp.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
yes! the temps very from 90 to 95 around his basking area. i read everything from the box and it gave me nothing! i will have to invest in a temp gun! :]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the manufacturers recommendation is a good starting point, but everyone's situation is different. I know of no way to set the fixture height, other than using one or more thermometers.

Status
Not open for further replies.