Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Any dimming thermostat recommendations?
What species?

This is one of the four correct lights for most species, but I wouldn't want this over a forest tortoise species like a red foot, for one example. The bulb you attached here is a 65 watt. You may need higher or lower wattage depending on what your thermometer tells you, and how much bulb height adjustability your enclosure allows.

You don't want your basking lamp on a thermostat. You want your basking lamp on a timer. You don't want the "sun" going on and off all day depending on the temperature. Thermostats of for controlling the ambient heat source and keeping the ambient temperature where you want it.

Read this thread and look for the heating and lighting breakdown near the bottom:

Sunny_Sunday

Minnesota
What species?

This is one of the four correct lights for most species, but I wouldn't want this over a forest tortoise species like a red foot, for one example. The bulb you attached here is a 65 watt. You may need higher or lower wattage depending on what your thermometer tells you, and how much bulb height adjustability your enclosure allows.

You don't want your basking lamp on a thermostat. You want your basking lamp on a timer. You don't want the "sun" going on and off all day depending on the temperature. Thermostats of for controlling the ambient heat source and keeping the ambient temperature where you want it.

Read this thread and look for the heating and lighting breakdown near the bottom:
This is for a horse field. I have a timer for day and night but I usually just unplug it when it’s night time. Can that work or do I still need a thermostat/timer?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is for a horse field. I have a timer for day and night but I usually just unplug it when it’s night time. Can that work or do I still need a thermostat/timer?
If the timer turns the light off at night, what is the point of unplugging it and then having to plug it back in in the morning every day?

Thermostats are for controlling the heating elements that control ambient temperatures. For a Russian tortoise in a relatively warm room, you might not need this.

Sunny_Sunday

Minnesota
If the timer turns the light off at night, what is the point of unplugging it and then having to plug it back in in the morning every day?

Thermostats are for controlling the heating elements that control ambient temperatures. For a Russian tortoise in a relatively warm room, you might not need this.
So is the bulb ok and if so do I get the daylight or soft white? @Tom

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
This is true. Good catch. At this point though, I am happy to find ANY incandescent flood bulb I can get my hands on.

Oh, then in that case it's my mistake.

I didn't see that it was about incandescent, I doubt daylight would be an option. It'd be soft or warm white depending on manufacturer.