Light bulb keeps blowing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ1999

5 Year Member
I keep on buying Levi the light bulb he needs, but they only last a little while. They keep on blowing out, is there a reason why or is there a way I can keep them from blowing out so soon? Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What type are you using and do you keep a high humidity enclosure and if yes, where logistically speaking in the enclosure is the bulb in relation to the high humidity...

TJ1999

5 Year Member
I squirt his cage because I am working on getting him a humidifier, but his cage has a grate on top so I put it on top of there ImageUploadedByTortForum1380396602.322908.jpg ( ps he wasn't in his cage when I took the pic)

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you there right when it blows? And do you mean burns out and not explodes right? When you mist sometimes some blow back can rest on the bulb and cause it to mess up....

TJ1999

5 Year Member
Okay, that makes a lot of sense, and no it doesn't blow up :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also...be careful of the two elusive painted five toe species that is sneaking up on your tortoise enclosure in your last pic....they are a crafty critter...:D

TJ1999

5 Year Member
Lol [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] i will be sure to watch out for those little guys

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its most likely your hood. Is it a mercury vapor bulb? Those run hot and you need a large dome with vents at the top. I get my fixtures at home Depot for about $12.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You see the black portion that the bulb screws into? That's called Bakelite. It is plastic. What you want is a ceramic base light. It will be white and not black. Your mercury vapor bulb gets too hot to live in a Bakelite fixture. The recommendation right on the box tells you to use a large-sized bell fixture with a ceramic base. By large they mean 10" or bigger.

TJ1999

5 Year Member
Okay, I will look for those when I go get a new bulb, thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.