Life with Rat

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, that is too cute. Rats make such great pets. Had a couple. Miss having them.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
He has a strong aversion to laying on anything but his back. He does the whole circling thing, then haphazardly falls onto his back, usually not even were he was circling. :)

image-3247384582.png

Fuzz butt got his new house today, I ended up just buying one because it was to hard to find the stuff to build one. He seems pretty pleased. I'd noticed that in his tank he'd have sneezing fits whereas outside running around he was fine, it made me get a jump on things.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
I didn't want to start a whole new thread to show off Charlie :)

His curly hair shows up really well in the one picture! He's like sheep rat!

image-2291708163.png

image-935245799.png

image-1158161454.png

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Too cute. His coat reminds me of a Curly coated retriever. :D

It so funny! They'd been playing outside, then Hatter went inside and Charlie stayed out with me. I put Charlie in to see if he wanted food or water and Hatter ran out and grabbed him! I had a huge "oh crud" moment then realized that Hatter was carrying him like a baby, well more dragging him, Hatter took Charlie to the nest and shoved him into the pile of fluffy stuff Hatter has hoarded away over the last while. They've been racing around playing ever since!

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
image-489527451.png

His hairs finally grown back after the awkward bald faze! I thought a size comparison would be in order :)

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I love your rats. I use to have a mouse when I was in seventh grade, while my brothers had a couple of rats. I adored my mouse. I was so sad the day he died. His name was Messer. He was always making a mess, but he was the best pet ever. I always liked my brothers rats, as well. They lived longer than my mouse and were a lot of fun to play with. I have been toying with the idea of getting a hairless rat after the holidays. Have you had any experience with them? I have only had the hair variety but have always thought hairless were really cool. Anyways, I really think your rats are awesome!

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
lovelyrosepetal said:
I love your rats. I use to have a mouse when I was in seventh grade, while my brothers had a couple of rats. I adored my mouse. I was so sad the day he died. His name was Messer. He was always making a mess, but he was the best pet ever. I always liked my brothers rats, as well. They lived longer than my mouse and were a lot of fun to play with. I have been toying with the idea of getting a hairless rat after the holidays. Have you had any experience with them? I have only had the hair variety but have always thought hairless were really cool. Anyways, I really think your rats are awesome!

My friend at home has a naked rat named Brannigan, their cute when their little, but he's really fat now. She loves him dearly but I think he looks like a haggis. You have to give them baths because the males get all greasy and look like they have orange fake tans, which on a haggis creature is not attractive. They also need to stay warmer then ordinary rats because their naked. Lots of Charlie's siblings were double rex, and one was naked, you might want to look at double rex's they're more half naked, I think they're pretty cute

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I'm getting two rats tomorrow! Females this time for me since my last set of boys always thought I was worthy of being peed on constantly... But one's dumbo so I'm excited! Might later on be getting a variegated dumbo Rex if her breedings work out. I'm excited!

Her as in the breeder.. Not doing breedings of my own.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
I'm getting two rats tomorrow! Females this time for me since my last set of boys always thought I was worthy of being peed on constantly... But one's dumbo so I'm excited! Might later on be getting a variegated dumbo Rex if her breedings work out. I'm excited!

Her as in the breeder.. Not doing breedings of my own.

That's so exciting! I want to see pictures! Yeah, I kinda get peed on regularly, mostly just the sent marking though. Variegated are one of my favorites, I don't think they're easy to find over here, so I'll just sit here quietly envying you! Haha, secretly you know it would be fun to breed them, just less fun to have 22 babies to rehome.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Lol, yeah. So I picked out a little black berkshire female. She had two baby berkshires available and I had this one in my hands and she sat there just sniffing and licking me for about half an hour and then decided to groom herself and started falling asleep. So of course I picked her :p She didn't even leave my hand to run around exploring. She was content to stare at me and brux. The older female is a retired breeder and is her aunt and is a bit more exploratory in nature. She's a hooded blue dumbo who was named Fidget. Still trying to decide if I want to keep that name or come up with 2 new names... Here are 2 pics I snapped today. Right now they're in an aquarium since the little berkshire girl could probably squeeze through just about any wire spacing, and Fidget is a known escape-artist so I didn't want to risk an escape in my only wire cage I have right now. I'll take more pics tomorrow though!

The baby.. she had her back legs all kicked out when I picked her up.
blackberk.jpg

And the auntie
bluedumbo2.jpg

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Awwe! They're so cute, I love how big the babies heads are. How old is she?

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
The baby is 6 weeks and the aunt is about 8 months. So cute when they cuddle! It looks like a rat and a mouse! Lol

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Wow, it's amazing to think Charlie is only a few weeks older! She's so tiny compared to my guys at 6 weeks.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Yeah, she's small.. just about the size of a large mouse! I think she's actually only 5 weeks and a few days. She's healthy and a hearty eater though. My boyfriend thinks they're disgusting creatures and says they give him the creeps. I did get him to touch one to feel how soft they were... so there's hope ;) He used to not like any rodent and now he says gerbils are pretty cool to watch. He says I'm an odd female because I find rodents adorable :p

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Haha, I must be weird too then! Charlie was 3 or 4 weeks in the first pictures of him I posted, and still looks bigger then your little girl. I don't think they're even supposed to be away from their mothers at that point, he seems okay though, Hatter mothered him a lot.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Yeah, this little girl has her auntie who just finished raising her last litter so I figure she's fine.

Here's a short video of her deciding I taste good! I think the cutest part is from 00:18 onwards :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZB4_92UBzY&feature=plcp

And I should say, no I didn't have any food on my hands and had washed them prior to holding her. But she did the very same thing yesterday when I picked her out. Maybe she's just craving salt?

Status
Not open for further replies.