Life career: Love it or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I was wondering what made ya'll go into the career you did? Was it for the money? Or because it was something you loved? (Loving making money doesn't county)

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I have the best gig in the world. I work at home repairing guitars. I enjoy helping people make music, I got to stay home with my 3 kids when they were little, I only need to work about 4 hours a day which allows me time to work a little part time job at the elementary school where my wife teaches and my daughter attends.
I honestly believe God had a hand in all this. But that's another long story...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I went to work many, many years ago as a telephone operator, because it was an easy company to get hired on with, and I only had a high school education. Never intended to work there for so long, however, they had good benefits and job security. I stayed 30 years, going from operator to supervisor to draftsman in the Engineering department, and finally to Communications Engineer. It ended up being a great job. I really enjoyed it.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
For me, it was something I loved. I am interested in Finance since a long time. I love numbers and analysing them :). I would have loved to work with animals too :)

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I like working with children, and so hence became a teacher. Obviously, it wasen't the money as everyone knows how underpaid teachers are in the UK :) but one day i dream of owning a bookshop, as i love books of all kinds. Again, it will probably not be very profitable as i'll end up buying all the books myself!

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
When I am older I would love to become a holiday representative, thats my dream when I grow older!
For now im still studying in school!
xx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
alfiethetortoise said:
I like working with children, and so hence became a teacher. Obviously, it wasen't the money as everyone knows how underpaid teachers are in the UK :) but one day i dream of owning a bookshop, as i love books of all kinds. Again, it will probably not be very profitable as i'll end up buying all the books myself!

No! If you OWN the shop, you get to read all the books for FREE!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I bounced around from job to job until someone suggested I become a truck driver because I like driving so much. So I went to school and took a 6 month course and graduated second in my class. I was a good truck driver. I fixed my truck up very comfortably and took my cat with me. I felt like every new dispatch was going to be an adventure, and it was. I LOVED truck driving and I seriously miss being out on the road. I saw so much stuff that I never would have seen. A moose once stopped my truck. A giant moose! Then he walked around smelling my truck...in the middle of the highway! Big Bubba walked on the ground in every state in the Union except Connecticut. How many cats can make that claim??? He had a run in with a prairie dog. That was really funny. I had so much fun and I got to go places I never would have gone to. I miss it, but I am too old now...

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I've been working as an archaeologist for the past ten years and I love it. I chose this career because it allows me to spend time outdoors exploring sunny southern California.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Well let's see...I have been a nurse, teacher, cleaning lady, chauffeur, barber, seamstress, activity organizer, referee, ghost writer, grocery shopper, cook, and councilor for 5 sons. I have never regretted it for a minute and had more fun and laughs through the years...along with some tears. Does this count......stay at home Mom?

:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You probably had the hardest "career" job of all of us, Terry!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
This is a great thread! So many interesting non-tortoise details about the experts on this forum! A very diverse and experience-enriched group, I must say.;)

I'm with Terry on the professional mom thing, though I also think of myself as a professional student. I love learning and re-learning things (I could probably win big bucks on that show, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? because I teach and re-teach that elementary school curriculum for a living now!).:p

I love reading history and have memorized quite a lot of useless bits of trivia, hence my love of the game Trivial Pursuit.:D

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
My family got our first home computer in 1986 when I was in Kindergarten. I've always loved working on them so it was only natural for me to get into the field. My first job in high school was fixing computers at a local repair shop, and I went to college and got a BS in Computer Science. My first job landed me in Reno, NV doing scripting for video slot machines, and my second (and current) job has me in sunny So Cal working for my dream company (Blizzard Entertainment) with weather nice enough to raise tortoises :D.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Currently I'm in the restaurant industry, and I'm pretty happy. The company I'm with absolutely loves me, and I've gotten pretty far with them in the past year that I've been there [I was part of the original group that helped open their newest restaurant]. Eventually I want to do 2 things: Become an author and publish my own books, and start my own business [crafting] from home [I knit, sew, cross stitch, and make other various things].

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'm an engineer in the aircraft industry. I went into it because I love it, but it also pays well, especially considering I am just out of college. win-win!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
tortoisenerd said:
I'm an engineer in the aircraft industry. I went into it because I love it, but it also pays well, especially considering I am just out of college. win-win!

Cool! My middle daughter is in her sophomore year at CU majoring in aerospace engineering and minoring in electrical engineering. What school did you go to? Did you find it relatively quick and easy to land a job right out of college?:) What state are you working in?

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
I was a high school teacher for three years and then I moved into clinical social work. So far so good, I still have one more year in grad school and then I am done with my MSW, yay! Right now I work with the geriatric population and their families doing adjustment, grief, and bereavment counseling. It is rewarding, but for sure not financially! :)

Sulcatatortoiseman

5 Year Member
Kadaan said:
My family got our first home computer in 1986 when I was in Kindergarten. I've always loved working on them so it was only natural for me to get into the field. My first job in high school was fixing computers at a local repair shop, and I went to college and got a BS in Computer Science. My first job landed me in Reno, NV doing scripting for video slot machines, and my second (and current) job has me in sunny So Cal working for my dream company (Blizzard Entertainment) with weather nice enough to raise tortoises :D.

Lol kadaan i used to be addicted to WOW

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I have worked retail, secretarial, deli clerk and various other things. I am still trying to figure out what I am going to be when I "Grow Up". Currently I do home daycare so that I can raise my children. Oh yeah - I am also a domestic "Goddess".

Status
Not open for further replies.