LF soft pellets for juvenile tortoise

Moonrabbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I have a juvenile Hermann's tortoise who has been raised on Mazuri pellets (adult variety, black 1.5 lb bag) and greens with vitamin/calcium supplements. I soak the pellets in warm water for a couple of minutes before serving. Have been looking for pre-softened pellets (think tender vittles) and came across Exo Terra Soft Adult Tortoise Food online. Does anyone have experience with these pellets? Are they truly softened? Also, how big are the pellets in relation to Mazuri? Any other pre-softened pellets commercially available?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only manufactured tortoise foods I use are the Mazuri Tortoise Diet (not the LS) and the Zoo Med Grassland tortoise pellets.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have a juvenile Hermann's tortoise who has been raised on Mazuri pellets (adult variety, black 1.5 lb bag) and greens with vitamin/calcium supplements. I soak the pellets in warm water for a couple of minutes before serving. Have been looking for pre-softened pellets (think tender vittles) and came across Exo Terra Soft Adult Tortoise Food online. Does anyone have experience with these pellets? Are they truly softened? Also, how big are the pellets in relation to Mazuri? Any other pre-softened pellets commercially available?
Why are to trying to find pre-softened pellets anyway? If your tortoise is doing well on the ones you moisten for him?

Moonrabbit

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Softening the pellets takes time, particularly when weather is cooler. I travel a fair amount for work and am simply looking for a way to make it easier for my wife and son to care for the tortoise while I am gone.