Letting then wander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadance

5 Year Member
Do any of you let your torts out and about in your house? I want our RTs to be able to move around more but not sure really where to let them do this seeing as it is freezing outside. I have thought about moving the rugs in my kitchen and blocking them in there so they can make a mess threw out the house and don't get hurt. (I would be cleaning the floor with bleach after each time they where out!)

kibow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast michigan
RE: Letting then wonder

I just received my tort this week so I'm not as experienced as some but I would say no. The ground is usually a lot colder than their normal environment. Also there are a lot of things on the ground that could be harmful to them (ex: hair, staples, food and so on). But someone with more experience will chime in in a little bit.

Cadance

5 Year Member

That is true but I feel bad cuz they are in the cage all the time. During the summer I will be different. But you know lol I want them to be able to be out during the winter too but safe of course.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

It is generally better to make an interesting indoor habitat- big, planted, different things to investigate, interesting foods, etc.

You can certainly make a room or an area tortoise safe for walking around in, but the only real advantage is usually sheer space. Otherwise, it is usually a pretty boring experience for the tortoise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I dislike letting them be running loose on the floor for their safety. We have chemicals used on our floors, we drop all kinds of little things on the floor including our hair, rubber bands, used staples, ect.., all of which can pose a major threat to a tortoise. Then too we may forget he is there and either kick him, step on him, or close a door or a chair down upon him. Are there steps he could fall down upon? Electrical cords he might bite? Other pets in the house? Just so many hazards, it is even worse I think then trying to baby proof your home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui said:
I dislike letting them be running loose on the floor for their safety. We have chemicals used on our floors, we drop all kinds of little things on the floor including our hair, rubber bands, used staples, ect.., all of which can pose a major threat to a tortoise. Then too we may forget he is there and either kick him, step on him, or close a door or a chair down upon him. Are there steps he could fall down upon? Electrical cords he might bite? Other pets in the house? Just so many hazards, it is even worse I think then trying to baby proof your home.

WOO HOO!!!

We agree 100%... AGAIN. I see a new trend here Jacqui... :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
WOO HOO!!!

We agree 100%... AGAIN. I see a new trend here Jacqui... :)

As we have both taken turns pointing out many times in the past, we do agree on most everything. :p This just happens to be another one of my "old way" of thinking, glad to see you thinking "old way", too. :p :D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I have a special play area for betty I set up. I used to use different things to blockade her in the area until my husband built little temporary walls for her area. It is on a carpeted area but I vacuum the carpet each time before and after I put her down (mostly because I am a neat freak but also so she doesn't eat something I dont know is there). I sit down in the box with her and i also put in obstacles and things she can play with. She really likes to climb so I am her favorite obstacle course. I only clean my floors and carpets with water with vinegar in it since it is safe for my dogs so I don't have to worry about chemicals.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I let my RT's out every day to roam the house. No problems yet. (Knock on wood?) I also keep a very good eye on them. Inside or Outside.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Jacqui said:
it is even worse I think then trying to baby proof your home.

You haven't met my baby, there is no baby proof, you just hope to survive.......:D

During the long winter month here, I used a kiddie pool to let the little torts get some exercise, just clear the floor, drop the plastic pool down and let them go, easy to clean up.

pawnfull

5 Year Member
ripper7777777 said:
You haven't met my baby, there is no baby proof, you just hope to survive.......:D

During the long winter month here, I used a kiddie pool to let the little torts get some exercise, just clear the floor, drop the plastic pool down and let them go, easy to clean up.

I too use a kiddie pool!! Much safer, I can leave for a while and know no one can get into trouble. Plus cleanups a breeze!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
pawnfull said:
I too use a kiddie pool!! Much safer, I can leave for a while and know no one can get into trouble. Plus cleanups a breeze!!

Hi pawnfull:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

pawnfull

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi pawnfull:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Sure thing =)

Cadance

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the advice. We do have other pets but they are only allowed out while we are watching them that goes for all our pets.. Also A little pool is a great idea!!! I just don't want them to be to board in their little house while it is cold out! I think I will be getting a little pool for them to use in the house. And once this weather gets nicer I will be making them their Box for outside I can't wait to do that!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I second the kiddie pool idea, they are cheap ( usually) and they can last quite awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.