Lethal foods from the first time

ImMel

Hello, recently i got a baby tortoise and im amazed by the amount of research needed just to feed those guys.
In my garden i have mostly plants which are safe to consume and some which aren't like tomatoes.

In the case of tomatoes if you feed them once there is no problem, that made me wonder if there are foods so toxic that if the tortoise eats them just once it would be lethal for them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
The actual fruit of the tomatoes are ok every once in a while. I rarely feed them. But some species will get fed them every 4-5 months, the leaves are not ok feed though. Plants that ar extremely toxic to the point of loss of life would rarely be willingly consumed by a tortoise. Hemlocks, oleanders, poinsetta, cedar/juniper,

ImMel

The actual fruit of the tomatoes are ok every once in a while. I rarely feed them. But some species will get fed them every 4-5 months, the leaves are not ok feed though. Plants that ar extremely toxic to the point of loss of life would rarely be willingly consumed by a tortoise. Hemlocks, oleanders, poinsetta, cedar/juniper,
I've noticed that the most beautiful flowers are the most toxic for them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The list goes on for toxic plants for sure. But there's really just a handful that would cause extremely major issues. Tomatoes would not be one of them. Now if fed every day all day, yes that would cause some issues, as it's not a very suitable food source to begin with.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I've noticed that the most beautiful flowers are the most toxic for them.
Rose of Sharon, Andy hibiscus really (leaves and flowers), roses, leaves and flowers, pansies, daffodils, honeysuckle, trumpet vine are all ok. Morning glory is not. But they will not eat it as I've tried. They're smarter than you think. But in the event a toxic flower or leaf is eaten it won't cause major major issues immediately unless extremely poisonous.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh, I don't know about that. Gazanias, roses, hibiscus, lavatera, pansies, geraniums, cape honeysuckle, etc., are all quite attractive and very edible on a regular basis.
Yep, see even more than I said before, ha

Prairie Mom

The University of California website has some nice plant lists. Their toxic plant list is pretty handy because it lists what type of toxicity some common plants have. http://ucanr.edu/sites/poisonous_safe_plants/Toxic_Plants_by_common_Name_659/

On the subject of tomatoes, the greens are toxic only in very large amounts compared to the size of the animal eating it. Bites here and there aren't usually a problem for most animals as my young sulcata, cats, and dog can agree to....sigh. However, the actual plant "Deadly Nightshade" regularly occurs in my yard and garden. It is deadly toxic. It's horrible because it even grows berries from a very young sprout. It's actually quite a pretty and inviting little deadly plant. Argh!:D

I work really hard to keep my yard edible and safe, but last Spring my tortoise found some Tulips and had a reaction from eating too many. I included photos and will post a link if you're curious...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/we-had-a-case-of-tulip-poisoning.116334/

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Rose of Sharon, Andy hibiscus really (leaves and flowers), roses, leaves and flowers, pansies, daffodils, honeysuckle, trumpet vine are all ok. Morning glory is not. But they will not eat it as I've tried. They're smarter than you think. But in the event a toxic flower or leaf is eaten it won't cause major major issues immediately unless extremely poisonous.
@tortadise . I keep hearing conflicting info on daffodil's. Do you feed daffodil's? My reds have eaten the flowers before to no ill effect. Dawn reckons we shouldn't feed them, so I haven't fed since. I need to know one way or the other, we have hundreds of them in the garden. Feed or not to feed, that is the question. :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@tortadise . I keep hearing conflicting info on daffodil's. Do you feed daffodil's? My reds have eaten the flowers before to no ill effect. Dawn reckons we shouldn't feed them, so I haven't fed since. I need to know one way or the other, we have hundreds of them in the garden. Feed or not to feed, that is the question. :D
Daffodil plant, flower and bulbs contain toxins. Tortoise Table has them as do not feed. There's plenty of stuff far safer than daffodil to feed

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have before yes. Not in large amounts though. So it's common that it may be semi-toxic and have adverse reactions if over fed.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I beg to differ: daffodils are not safe

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I beg to differ: daffodils are not safe
All species? Perhaps this is one of those much like pothos. The Asian species can consume large amounts of it without Ill affect. Along with taro species too. I'd love to know what additional gut flora or bacterium allows some species to consume high amounts of some of these toxic plants.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
All species? Perhaps this is one of those much like pothos. The Asian species can consume large amounts of it without Ill affect. Along with taro species too. I'd love to know what additional gut flora or bacterium allows some species to consume high amounts of some of these toxic plants.

I can't answer the "all species" question. Most common garden hybrids are from Narcissus pseudonarcissus; this is the most studied species and it is considered highly toxic - classified as 1b.
I will say that good field evidence exists for Hermann's tortoises eating the similar "sea-daffodil" - Pancratium maritimum. However, they only eat parts that have completely dried up. Also, they can choose this among a variety of available foods, and it is only a very small part of their natural diet.
I can find no reports of Russian tortoises eating Narcissus, although they do consume tulip flowers.
I think the blanket reccomendation should be avoid all daffodils.