Let the construction begin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinksilver

5 Year Member
Alright, now that I have definitely chosen to bring a Russian to my family, it is time to start construction for Leroy's home.

I would like to build a box to frame a Rubbermaid (for esthetics in my living room), but I want to make sure it is completely safe for the little dude. Are there any woods that are better (non-toxic) for a Russian tort?
Also would I be able to paint/stain the outer frame? Any paint/stain brand suggestions?
Thanks Tort fans.
=D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Shannon:

I don't think you have to worry about the exterior wood. As long as you let it completely dry and air out before you put the rubbermaid tub into it, it should be ok.

tinksilver

5 Year Member
Thank you for your advice. Any suggestions as to which plants to add in?

tinksilver

5 Year Member
Does anyone know how to post a picture from my iPhone? It keeps saying "file is too large".

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think you have to download to tinypics.com or photobucket then upload from them. They resize the photos.
Any water based stain is fine for the outside. Any wood like pine is fine, because it is not going to get wet or come into contact with your tort.
Have you thought about using 2 rubbermaid totes together with a window or tunnel? That would give your tort a lot more space. Since you are going to the effort to frame them in.

tinksilver

5 Year Member
That is a great idea lynnedit!! Thank you! I think we are starting with a "starter home" for Leroy and will work up to a dream home. Only reasoning is we are in the same position. Lol our home is a small starter and we will be moving to a self built in a few years. So we can all grow together. =D
I will be starting construction this evening and will try to figure out how to load pics.
Any plant suggestions that are better than not for a wee Russian?
😃

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Most plants will be mowed down pretty quick in a Russian enclosure, but there's a few to try... Pansies, violas, and nasturtiums are a few safe flowering plants.
Dandelions, if you grow them from seed or transplant them from a "clean" (no pesticides/weed killers/etc) yard, would be a good one. Dandelions are just all around good tortoise food, too, if you just want to harvest leaves & flowers from the yard to add to your tortoise's main diet.
Most Sedum plants and Ice plant are safe for him to nibble on, and can make great ground cover (if he gives it a chance to grow! Lol!).
Any healthy, edible greens are safe to plant--i.e. collard plants, lettuces, maybe a kale plant, to name a few.
Spider plant is safe... Plus, in my experience, spider plants are pretty tough--mine has been eaten to the ground and grown back twice over the last 2 years, lol! It's still growing strong, though, and I finally figured out to stop putting it in the animals' enclosures if I ever want baby spider plants... :p

Those are a few ideas... Plus here's a great website where you can look up whether certain plants are safe to feed to your tortoise: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp. There are other lists like this one around, too, if you do a search. :)

Another idea is to get seeds. Carolina Pet Supply has some good seeds and seed mixes, including one geared toward Russian Tortoises. An idea I've seen utilized by members here time and again is to plant several (i.e. 3-5 or so, depending on how destructive of them your tort is) trays with these seeds, let it all grow a bit, and then rotate them through the enclosure. Put one in at a time, take it out when it's been mowed down, swap it out with another that's been growing. Reseed as necessary, keep your extra trays somewhere they can grow very well between trips to the enclosure, and, ideally, you should be able to create a constant food supply!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Great advice. Right now, Carolina Pet Supply has free shipping on tort seed mixes (and on their excellent sprinkle on supplement, TNT w/ or w/o probiotics).
They also sell turnip seeds, which is apparently one of the best greens for torts, and it is hard to find the greens in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.