Leopards, Large ones!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sbwooldridge

JUST bought 2.1 leopards

8 years old female, and 2 6 year old males.

come on guys give me everything i need. i got night time between 70-75 day time between 85-92 in hot spot, sound about right, also read that they should not have much fruit and veg, but mainly hay!!??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: JUST bought 2.1 leopards

You haven't told us anything about your tortoise set-up, so I will tell you that I feel all tortoises need to be outside. The very best thing for your new leopard herd is to have room to wander for exercise, and lots of growing grass and weeds to eat. All of my tortoises have large pastures where they graze, and because of that, they are not interested in eating hay. I supplement once a week with a large portion of Mazuri Tortoise Diet, just to be sure they are getting all the vitamins and minerals that might be missing from their pastures. You will need to provide a warm winter house for them because they don't hibernate. My leopards are in an insulated shed with a vinyl strip doorway, and they come and go as they please, even on the coldest winter days.

If you have specific questions, we will be happy to help you. How 'bout some pictures?

Yvonne

S

sbwooldridge

right on, well its a big set up its 7 feet by 4 feet, the lady kept them inside with a red heat bulb in then the best uva uvb bulb u can buy but the red bulb was way to hot, i checked the temp on it when i got home and after it hit 90 in less then 3 minutes i unplugged it. because she used it 24 hours a day and thats way too hot for night time

if i wanted them to live outside right now i could put their frame outthere on the grass and build a few hides

S

sbwooldridge

guys i need input and fast. i got 3 adult leopards yesterday i feel they werent cared for the best so im ready to take over, i have them in a 4-7 foot enclousre, i have the uva uvb bulb and also a 100 watt infrared bulb as well. doesnt seem to climb above 85 in the hot spot. should i get one more 100 watt red? also the lady had this big red bulb on them that got over 125 it was ridiculous so i through that out. they had pile wood for the bottom of the cage i changed that and now they have tons of hay, any suggestions the female has long nails of course one was cracked so i clipped it with my dog clippers and it didnt bleed but there was a red dot so i know it was close. any suggestions? ill take watever u can give me. they are all about 11 inchs long 7 inches wide any idea wat they should weigh?

please all responses appreciated!!!

i read that i should have a shallow water dish available but i dont like that idea i figure a weekly soak should be enough???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't mean to sound "testy", but I've already given you good advice. They need to be outside.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

The enclosure space you have for them is fine for a temporary, or night time quarters, but they are large torts and will get larger and a yard is what they need. a enlcosure the size of a pieice of plywood is much too small. Overgrown lawn area, garden to wander and nibble and hide and be tortoises. Also with two males and one female, they are apt to fight and they will either need seperate areas or a large area where they can stay away from each other. Lots of different hides for les stress. UVB lights are great for winter indoors, but to be healthy, they need to be outside a large majority of the time.
Where do you live? It sounds like they are a new thing to you.. Read past posts here or look at the book suggestions. Lots of good info. There is not one way to house a tortoise, but there are wrong and right things to do. There are people here who have been doing this for many years and did some wrong things.. We learn by others mistakes. We are all always learning. :)
Have fun and post pics when you can.. lots of people have and we 'steal' ideas all the time!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just answered your post in Leopards... As for food and water.. Ask what they are used to eating.. if the diet was not appropiate, it may take a while to get them switched to a good diet they should be eating. Grazing is best. make sure the lawn or weed you have them on are not sprayed or fertilized. it could be toxic.
Find a corner of your yard or the whole yard.. and block off areas with cinder blocks or I used 1x12 boards and braced them. Easy to move, easy to put up.. watch for digging.. If you provide them with enough hides, they shouldnt dig too much.
As for water.. soaks are good, but I like to provide a water bowl at all times. i dont know when they are thirsty or feel the need to drink, so its there all the time. I have a saucer in the ground so its level and easy to climb in and out of. Shallow. For my big guys I have a plastic garbage can lid, and the real big guys have a concret indent i dug out and concreted.. i fill it water when needed and hose it out.. they poop in their water.. so it have to be changed frequently.
As for heat.. the Red light was good... Its not bright, so can be used at night.. and most animals cant see the red light.. if its too hot.. hang it higher up.. but be VERY careful with hay as bedding when using that type of heat.. it can catch fire very easily..Another reason to put up higher...

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Email me directly at [email protected] and I'll send you some notes I have...

There is also this neat little book by TFH that might prove helpful...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0793828988/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I'm also selling the book...

sbwooldridge said:
guys i need input and fast. i got 3 adult leopards yesterday i feel they werent cared for the best so im ready to take over, i have them in a 4-7 foot enclousre, i have the uva uvb bulb and also a 100 watt infrared bulb as well. doesnt seem to climb above 85 in the hot spot. should i get one more 100 watt red? also the lady had this big red bulb on them that got over 125 it was ridiculous so i through that out. they had pile wood for the bottom of the cage i changed that and now they have tons of hay, any suggestions the female has long nails of course one was cracked so i clipped it with my dog clippers and it didnt bleed but there was a red dot so i know it was close. any suggestions? ill take watever u can give me. they are all about 11 inchs long 7 inches wide any idea wat they should weigh?

please all responses appreciated!!!

i read that i should have a shallow water dish available but i dont like that idea i figure a weekly soak should be enough???

S

sbwooldridge

emysemys said:
I don't mean to sound "testy", but I've already given you good advice. They need to be outside.

Yvonne

hey well i jus wanted more feedback, besides they cant be outside i live in washington state and its already below 70's here, anyway so far they r in a much better situation then they previously were!

thanks

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
Yvonne
[/quote]

hey well i jus wanted more feedback, besides they cant be outside i live in washington state and its already below 70's here, anyway so far they r in a much better situation then they previously were!

thanks
[/quote]

hi today the temperature here is 65f and it rained until 2pm my adult leopards overnight in a heated shed minimum temp 62f they have basking lights on from 5am until 7am when they are turned off and the hatch is opened when the rain stopped and the sun came out to brighten things up they climbed the slope to their grazing area where they proceeded to feed as said the temperature has been no higher than 65f all day even at these temperatures after basking in the sun they are warm to touch. i have been keeping leopards for the last 12 years my adults are kept like this from 6" and have access to graze daily even in winter with temperature around 50f.i cant emphasize enough the need for them to go outside with access to natural sunlight and the ability to graze and exercise to grow strong healthy animals.
terry

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I went to Home Depot & got a 50' roll of 20" flashing and 8 pieces of 2" x 2" x 8' pine. I cut each of the pine pieces into 3 pieces, making a point on one end. I set the flashing in an oval, & drove the stakes into the ground 24" apart around the oval. Then using a drill, I used 3 fine thredded sheetrock screws to attach the tin to the stakes. This set-up is the size for one tortoise. You will need at least 2 set ups to be sure the 2 males don't fight each other. I would suggest making a 50' one and a 100' one. I use Dogloo houses that you can hang a heat light in.
You will probably need to make another tortoise table to put one of the males in when they have to be inside. You can bring them in at night & put them out in the morning.
Good luck
Patsy

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What kind of situation did you rescue them from? How were they housed before? Are they in good health and condition?
Can you post pics so we can see them?
Find out what diet they were on before and do some reading to find out what the Need to be on now.. and see what they like and slowly switch them over. also.. mazuri tort chow is good to have on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.