Leopard Won't Eat Grass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorP

5 Year Member
Hi I currently have 5 juvenile 4-6" leopard tortoises that I house outdoors 24/7. I purchased them about 2 weeks ago and after watching them they never really ate my grass? I tested to see if they were hungry with a piece of kale and they chowed down on it crazy fast. Since then I have been feeding them greens. Any advice on getting them to eat grass? I have St.Augustine I soak them every morning for 10-20 mins

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hey :)

Hatchlings and juveniles dont tend to eat grass, and maybe wont even eat weeds IN the grass either. Leopards, as far to my knowledge, only really start to eat grass when they are over a year old - maybe even 2 years old. Mine started eating it at about 22 months old. I wouldnt worry about it. Its mainly fibrous weeds and flowers they need anyway. (along with other parts of a varied diet obviously!)

If you wanted to incorporate grass into their diets, you could cut some grass up into small pieces, and sprinkle in onto their favourite food so they get the taste for it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agree with what is already posted. Also, I would not leave that young of ones to just graze for eating. My oh have know idea if they are getting enough. Feed them and then put them out to graze, this way you they are eating. Also, please read Toms threads at the bottom of my post for raising healthy, smooth leopards. The sulcata threads apply also.

dar64

5 Year Member
My hatchlings loved the grass. Now I can't get any. Mine all died from the AZ heat . Not sure why. I wish I could get some for them.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
dar64 said:
My hatchlings loved the grass. Now I can't get any. Mine all died from the AZ heat . Not sure why. I wish I could get some for them.

Buy wheat grass seeds in bulk (I use eBay). Put them in a shallow tray of moist soil. They will spring up. Better yet, make a seed mix like I do. White clover, wheat grass, seven-top turnip, and chia. Make substitutions or additions as you prefer. Sprinkle these on the moist dirt and the tender sprouts will serve your babies very well.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
dar64 said:

Okay, the grass died right? I sure hope so.
Grow grass in pots and then you can move it into shade when it is super hot in Arizona land. St. Augustine is especially good for that because it trails and spills over. A morning sun, afternoon shade location would be perfect for it and then you just take snips as needed or if you have a 5 gallon nursery container you can put it in the enclosure/habitat and tip it over and let the littles graze it and then put it back in the patio or porch. It is sold as sod BUT ... IMPORTANT ... you have to plan ahead with this ... buy and plant but wait 4-6 months to feed because sod may have systemic fertilizers to make it look pretty at the store and to look good after it is planted and these chemicals may hurt the babies so DO NOIT FEED right away.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Grasses are seasonal. You need Bermuda grass seed for summer. Water summer grass about 3 times a day for about 5 minutes.

You need Rye grass seed for winter. Rye needs to be planted when the temp begins to drop below 70 every year. Water once a day for about 4 minutes.

You'll need dirt, top soil (has wood chips and cow manure). It's about $5 for a 50 pound bag. Throw the dirt on top of the seed.

My dad owns his own landscaping company in AZ. Only reason I know.

Make sure you get ORGANIC soil. Free of chemicals.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I think maybe your guys didn't take to grass because they were happy with what you were already feeding them. My adults graze on St. Augustine aside from the daily food piles I give them. Even the babies eat the grass when I put them out for some sun. Of course, they tend to eat about anything that looks good to them at the time - grass, leaves, sticks, dirt... Gotta taste everything until they figure out what doesn't taste so good I guess. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you have two things working against you here.
1. Tortoises are creatures of habit, and if they aren't used to a food, they often won't eat it, even if we think its good for them. Try trimming some grass, chop it up very fine and sprinkling it on top of the foods that they do like and are familiar with. Start with small amounts at first and gradually more in time.
2. Some leopards just aren't in to grass. Studies in the wild suggest that grass is not as big of a dietary element as was once thought for some leopards in some parts of the range. In some areas they prefer forbs(weeds) and succulents over grass.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm not sure how St. Augustine stands up to other grasses like Bermuda in terms of what a tortoise might prefer more...I had some St. Augustine at my last place and my leopards seemed to eat it less than Bermuda. Keep watching them though, sometimes it takes awhile for them to settle in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal said:
I'm not sure how St. Augustine stands up to other grasses like Bermuda in terms of what a tortoise might prefer more...I had some St. Augustine at my last place and my leopards seemed to eat it less than Bermuda. Keep watching them though, sometimes it takes awhile for them to settle in.

That's surprising to me Neal. My sulcatas took to some St. Augustine like it was romaine. They eat their bermuda too, but they really seemed to like the St. Augustine I gave them. My leopards just eat everything.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
When you came over to my place the first year of the TTPG I had St Augustine there in most of the yard with some Bermuda here and there. They ate both types, but they were without a doubt more prone to grazing in the Bermuda areas.

My parents have St. Augustine. I think I'll trim some next time I'm there and offer it to my leopards next to some Bermuda and see how they respond.

VictorP

5 Year Member
I've been feeding them aloe vera with the spines picked off and they love it! I've chopped up some grass and sprinkled it on some kale carrot spring mix today and they eat a little grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.