Leopard tortoise long nails

Rhea&Hendricks

5 Year Member
hi I have a leopard tortoise and his nails are getting pretty long he is only little and my boyfriend has said I can't cut them ..... What should I do file them with a nail file ? Please help as not wanting to hurt him :) Thankyou

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 40

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Post of picture of the nails if you can so we can tell you if they really should be cut or not.

Some people use an emery board to file them down, but it's stressful for you and tort and shouldn't be done if not necessary.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, this is something I thought about as far my tort is concerned. However, I'd take it to a vet for such an "operation" if so I may call it. Good luck and take care whatever you decide to do.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need to see a pic. Very unusual for a little tortoise to need its nails trimmed. One thing that will help to keep them filed down is to feed him on a flat rock or piece of tile. Also putting a few around the enclosure. The feeding tile will also help keep his beak trimmed.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Substrate to burrow in so she can put them to use :) no need to nail trim a young tortoise

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have several flush laying cement pads around the enclosure. They seem to do the trick. Should you have some siptic powder nearby if you decide to trim them your self? I have siptic powder for my dog and birds in case there is any bleeding.

Prairie Mom

I'm a new sulcata owner. When I first got my tortoise, the poor girl had REALLY long obviously overgrown razor sharp nails (I don't think she ever was out of an aquarium previously). Taking her on regular outings around the yard and allowing her to walk on the concrete patio and sidewalk naturally filed them down on their own. The back legs took a bit longer that the front, but they are filing down nicely. Her nails are much better in just about a month's time. I agree with the suggestions to use tile or concrete slabs in the enclosure. I plan to use cheap garden path/paving stones in parts of my winter enclosure. I found that putting them around the water dish helps keep the water cleaner too.