Leopard or Red Footed Tortoise

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Is there also a breed called a Cherry Head Red Foot?
Cherry Head Read Foots are still red foots, but they come from a different part of South America. I want to say they are more Eastern like the Brazil area perhaps, but someone on here will know for sure. Cherry Heads usually have a vibrant red head and tend to be smaller in size as compared to all the other red foots.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Why not get both? :)

Attachments

• IMG_4008.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4009.JPG
    IMG_4009.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 26

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
I am trying to find one that does not get more than about 7 or 8 inches. I really don't care if it is an adult or a rescue or a yearling. I am thinking about the future with my Sulcata that will live outside all the time. I want to build a really nice enclosure inside for the new one and have a small area for him outside on sunny days (which is about every day in Florida). Living in a development in Orlando I have a decent size lot, but it is nothing like the land that some of you own!! I do like the size of the 2 above though. Are they adults. That is what I need is pictures of adult tortoises. I like how you are holding it. You can really tell the size! Some of the picture look like they are tiny, but they are huge, and some look like dinosaurs, but they are tiny. Pictures can be deceiving.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It is just my opinion, but I think tortoises belong outside as much as they can tolerate in the climate that you're in. So when you say you want a small area outside I would make the area as big as you can for outside.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
It is just my opinion, but I think tortoises belong outside as much as they can tolerate in the climate that you're in. So when you say you want a small area outside I would make the area as big as you can for outside.

It is about 6 foot by 4 foot. Is that big enough for a small tortoise? I want turbo the sulcata to have the rest of the yard. What do you think?

20150301_101213.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would look into something twice that size if possible. I haven't read this entire thread thoroughly so I may be wrong, but aren't you thinking about getting a red foot or a leopard? Those are both pretty good size tortoises. Especially the leopard. It would require much more room. But even if you were getting something smaller like a Russian I would still make the out door pin twice as big.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
I would look into something twice that size if possible. I haven't read this entire thread thoroughly so I may be wrong, but aren't you thinking about getting a red foot or a leopard? Those are both pretty good size tortoises. Especially the leopard. It would require much more room. But even if you were getting something smaller like a Russian I would still make the out door pin twice as big.

No no no...I want a Greek or Hermann. I just recently found out that the Russians are sometime smaller as well. I am just trying to find out which of these 3 are the smallest as adults.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
That size is good for a baby I think. I would make the walls a bit higher, though.

I was thinking I need to put a second level on it. Do I need to reinforce the walls with Rebar? I don't think a Greek is strong enough to knock over a cement block. I always over due everything I build!

Turtlepete

South Florida
The record, I think, is 29" for an RF but 16" is a beast. 12 - 14" is a much more reasonable expectation for an old and well cared for RF.

Whoa. Where was this animal obtained? The record I was aware of is 19". Thats amazing. Probably an 80-year old, amazon basin animal?

My biggest is 15 1/2". She's a tank.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I was thinking I need to put a second level on it. Do I need to reinforce the walls with Rebar? I don't think a Greek is strong enough to knock over a cement block. I always over due everything I build!

I wasn't so worried they would knock it over, I was more worried they would climb it! One more layer of cement blocks should do it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
No no no...I want a Greek or Hermann. I just recently found out that the Russians are sometime smaller as well. I am just trying to find out which of these 3 are the smallest as adults.
Okay, I'm sorry. As far as I know in general mail Russians would be the smallest. But that doesn't mean they need a small enclosure. And they are escape artists, I'm pretty sure my Russian knows how to fly.:) my outdoor enclosure is an L shape that is 15' x 10'. I think Greeks are less likely to dig and climb as much as Russians do. Again all the statements are generalized. Individuals may vary. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Okay, I'm sorry. As far as I know in general mail Russians would be the smallest. But that doesn't mean they need a small enclosure. And they are escape artists, I'm pretty sure my Russian knows how to fly.:) my outdoor enclosure is an L shape that is 15' x 10'. I think Greeks are less likely to dig and climb as much as Russians do. Again all the statements are generalized. Individuals may vary. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Ok that is very helpful. I thought I would be going with a Greek or Harmann, but it is not hatching season for them yet. There is a really nice guy on here that has 2 hermann's for rescue, but he wants 300.00. I am not ready to breed, so I only want 1 right now. I think I will wait for a hatchling or a yearling. Thanks for your help. I have been trying to get this info for a while now.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Ok that is very helpful. I thought I would be going with a Greek or Harmann, but it is not hatching season for them yet. There is a really nice guy on here that has 2 hermann's for rescue, but he wants 300.00. I am not ready to breed, so I only want 1 right now. I think I will wait for a hatchling or a yearling. Thanks for your help. I have been trying to get this info for a while now.
Hermione Chris might have some. Or I know a lady who runs a rescue but also breeds Greek and Redfoot tortoises. She sells them as yearlings. They are still quite adorable at that age :) contact Northwest tortoises. The lady's name is Terese. I think her name on here is Ivsrorts but she does most of her correspondence through her website. Remember that no matter what you get tortoises don't do well in pairs. So be prepared to have separate enclosures. And keep checking out the for sale section and there is also a breeder section here on the forum. The learning curve is so steep especially with hatchlings. But once you get it all set up it's very easy.