Leopard not growing.

katrvt

5 Year Member
Hello all..I just took possession of a 4.5 year old leopard who is a whopping 180grams..he was surrendered to our clinic because the most recent owner didn't have the time to deal with his pneumonia I guess. I wasn't there when she dropped him off. I know at least one of the previous owners use decently good husbandry practices but doesn't quite go the full hot n humid route. I'm interested to see how he/she does with the higher humidity. Cute little one, but my yearling is 250 grams.
My doc suspects there may be retained coelomic egg sac or something along those lines to cause the failure to thrive. We will see for sure when we use our coelomic endoscope to gender id in December or January.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It would be hard to say if you don't know its total husbandry from hatching. It could very well just be bad care or a slow grower. A pic would be nice though.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Hello all..I just took possession of a 4.5 year old leopard who is a whopping 180grams..he was surrendered to our clinic because the most recent owner didn't have the time to deal with his pneumonia I guess. I wasn't there when she dropped him off. I know at least one of the previous owners use decently good husbandry practices but doesn't quite go the full hot n humid route. I'm interested to see how he/she does with the higher humidity. Cute little one, but my yearling is 250 grams.
My doc suspects there may be retained coelomic egg sac or something along those lines to cause the failure to thrive. We will see for sure when we use our coelomic endoscope to gender id in December or January.

Wow that is really small for 4.5 yrs. If it was failure to thrive would it have made it this long?

katrvt

5 Year Member
I don't know. It's a puzzle, for sure. I have tried about 30 times to attach a picture but it's not letting me do so. Says I don't have permission to do so...

katrvt

5 Year Member
For now, I have changed my avatar to a picture of this little one.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Beautiful color. That is crazy small. At least since he hasn't grown too much in bad conditions, the pyramiding is not too bad. Hope you will keep us updated on this.

katrvt

5 Year Member
I think I may have fixed the picture issue.

1415743447811.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He is a cutie. Looks like he eats ok lol. I have one that is 10-11 months and only weighs 51 grams. Pretty sure he was started dry. He is very friendly and cute.

Hillman

wow, really cute one! color and look are great too, pyramiding is not that bad too, I have to say the shape is good when it pyramids evenly. it's really small for a 4.5 year old.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
A little beauty! I hope they're mistaken on the age estimate...

katrvt

5 Year Member
They are not mistaken on the age. They have documentation stating hatch date that came with purchase.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wrong food, temps and enclosure set up could certainly cause all of the above.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
A proper set up would do wonders for this little guy! My Gaia is 2,5 years old and 418 gr and I concider her small for her age.
I would love to watch this little one grow under the proper conditions

Is he looking for a foreverhome? I may be interested....:rolleyes:

ekmeeks

I have two leopards from the same clutch. At three yrs old one is at six pounds one is at three. Both have been together in same environment and both eat me out of house and home. My vet says some just grow slower and stay smaller. It does not seem to effect her health.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
That is unbelievably small for the age. I've had babies reach that weight in under a year easy. He was not fed properly and probably kept in a very tine enclosure. Change his diet and get him outside on the sun when possible, get some Mazuri in there also, give him some love and I bet he grows fast.