Leopard enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinej50

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio Texas
My tortoises are so happy outside!! I really want to build a good looking long term out door enclosure but all the ones I have been looking at have larger tortoises in them. What age is a good age to have a permanent outdoor home? I live in the middle of Texas with two 3-4 month old leopard tortoises. They currently have a 4 by 4. Tortoise table but they just arnt as happy and when they are outside.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My leopard has had a "permanent" large outdoor enclosure since he was 4 months old. Before that I used a cement mixing tub as an outdoor pen.

Even at 15months old/5" I still bring him inside to sleep in a humid chamber at night. I don't think he will live outside full time until he is 10" or so.

His first outdoor pen a 2'x3' cement mixing tub. He only spent an hour or 2 here and the rest of the time in his humid enclosure
2hnp8cw.jpg

At 4months old his next 20'x6' outdoor pen. He was only out here for 2-4hours
2r5dz13.jpg

At about 9months old he got this 17'x8'/4' outdoor pen. Now he is here from about 9am to 7pm and will stay here until he is large enough for the whole yard.
10pzpco.jpg

So, what age is a good age to have a permanent outdoor home? Why not now :D At their size/age just let them be out for a few hours.

I like the plywood walls the best. I paint them to look pretty and they work great for all my pens. I do 12" tall with a 4" perimeter lip. If you are worried about predators you can make a 2x2 and harware cloth lid to set on top.

Like this
wk4bva.jpg

Have fun and happy building!!

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Wow thanks! Do you have a picture of your Leo now? He looks a lot like mine and I'm excited to see how mine looks when he's older!

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
He is so pretty. I really hope mine looks like that! I have a lighter one also I'm excited to see how she looks!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Team Gomberg said:
Sure...
Taken at bath time last week or so.
eqa813.jpg

They can vary so much. Yours may look nothing like mine as it grows!

Pretty good looking little :tort:

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
Lovely tortoise ... And your enclosures are great , really creative

1 dwarf hamster
2 Russian torts
5 freshwater fish

Status
Not open for further replies.