Leo Gecko Enclosure Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Oh I will definitely have all females and one male if I ever got that many lol, no worries, thank you ^-^

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
not usre I understand your "wooden floor" question but I have heard of people using tiles for flooring in leopard tanks....maybe that would be something that can help you. :)
s

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
I gut load with left over tortoise food! Use romaine and any kind of lettuce you would feed your tortoise! And just use carrots for water. I don't like store bought gut load as it is not as easy to feed and it cost money.. lol

And you should dust them everyday with rapashy calcium +
That is the best known all in one supplement! I just leave some in the bottom of a dish and throw the mealies on top. they crawl around in it and the leo eats some when he eats the mealies.

oh and just for fun, here is my little guy a couple months ago!
th_B31684AD-AF7B-4BF0-B78B-29A505555325-29871-0000187E86499E37.jpg

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I heard that we are supposed to be having another dollar per gallon sale right after January. Not certain though.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
mira_kaylee said:
I heard that we are supposed to be having another dollar per gallon sale right after January. Not certain though.

Usually the first one is in June and then they have a couple more before Christmas but they might change it up. It's a nationwide thing so when one petco has it, they all have it. We usually know about a month in advance when corporate sends us the adset so I know there isn't going to be one for at least a month :p

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Oh, well thank you then, that saves me the trouble of wondering whether I should wait to see if one is coming before my birthday before I get my gecko XD

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
If I were you, I would look around craigslist, especially in the 'for sale' area instead of the pets. You would be surprised how many people are giving away free fish tanks there. As far as the 50 gallon goes, if you feed him in a smaller container of some sort at least when he's younger, it would be fine to keep him in something that size, just harder on your part to keep it at a required temperature

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Just wanted to note, in reference to the thermostat... If you haven't already ordered it, DON'T get the ZooMed ReptiTemp 500R. They're terrible! I've owned 2 or 3, and hated them... Eventually gave them away to a friend, only to find out that they went on to fail (and never work again) while she was using them--all within about a year and a half of buying them.

If you're trying to keep your costs down, get the Hydrofarm Chase recommended for $30 on Amazon. Or if you want to really splurge and get the best of the best, look into Vivarium Electronics and Herpstat thermostats. I have a Herpstat II (and am deeply in LOVE with it), and have heard great things about the VEs (sold by Reptile Basics).

Oh... And nothing wrong with keeping a Leopard gecko in a 50 gallon tank. If you're getting a hatchling, you'd probably want to start it in the 10 gallon for the first year or so, but, after that, just make sure s/he knows where to find the food and water and make sure you have a proper temp gradient... Odds are, s/he will use and appreciate every extra inch! :)

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I am actually being bought the thermostat for Christmas and it is already purchased >.> The gecko that I am getting will not be a hatchling, but it will be quite small still. I plan on starting out in the 10 gallon tank just to be sure that the little guy doesn't get overwhelmed. Thank you for the advice :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Aaah, well, just be sure to keep a close eye on it and upgrade when you can, then. They DO work okay until/unless they fail, and there's no reason it shouldn't last a good few years before biting the dust--it's just that I've never personally heard of one going over the 2 year mark. It doesn't have an actual mechanism to set a specific temperature, just a vague little power dial, so you need a digital thermometer (probe set immediately next to the thermostat probe) and to monitor it pretty closely for the first day or so to get it to the right setting. After that it should usually hold the temperature within a couple degrees without much fuss. Just make sure to check temps a couple times a day to be sure nothing goes haywire. :)

Sounds like you have a plan, that's great!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
ZooMed usually has a year guarantee on their items so even if the store won't take it back if it puts out early, you can always try sending it back to them, just remember to keep the receipt!

Status
Not open for further replies.