Leg use issues + MBD

Z.April

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
I was given my tortoise by a relative who had malnourished her and kept her without an enclosure, or uv/heat lamps. She had been being kept like this for months and was extremely weak when given to me. I quickly brought her to the vet who haven’t been super helpful in her recovery but since then, around 2-3 months ago, she has made some recovery but is still having issues (atm its that she isnt eating at all and hasnt in about 2 weeks). She isn’t underweight anymore and has regained a lot of strength in her back legs but cannot walk on them still. Any tips on helping her walk on them again? i already help her a little with a tiny bit of physiotherapy in her back legs

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome! Please post some pictures of the tortoise and let us know all the parameters of how she is now being kept? Thank you!

Z.April

Ireland
Welcome! Please post some pictures of the tortoise and let us know all the parameters of how she is now being kept? Thank you!
She’s quite small so the vet recommended a 3ft vivarium, It ranges from 35-40 degrees on the hotter side and im not too sure about the cooler side but she doesnt stay under there much. I bathe her in warm water and a calcium supplement 1-2x per day (i usually use reptoboost also but i recently ran out).

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0701.jpeg
    IMG_0701.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your vet is incorrect on the enclosure size. She needs room to get exercise so she can walk properly again.
The basking should be 95-100F with an incandescent flood bulb. UVb with a tube florescent and ceramic heat emitter for any added day heat needed and for 70F night heat
Give her hydrotherapy. Float her in tub with warm water and make it deep enough she can't touch the bottom. Make her keep moving in the water, using her legs. Stay with her and help her float if she can't. I rehabbed a leopard with the water therapy.

Z.April

Ireland
Your vet is incorrect on the enclosure size. She needs room to get exercise so she can walk properly again.
The basking should be 95-100F with an incandescent flood bulb. UVb with a tube florescent and ceramic heat emitter for any added day heat needed and for 70F night heat
Give her hydrotherapy. Float her in tub with warm water and make it deep enough she can't touch the bottom. Make her keep moving in the water, using her legs. Stay with her and help her float if she can't. I rehabbed a leopard with the water therapy.
she barely fits in the palm of my hand, is 3ft really too small? I will definitely try the hydrotherapy, thanks for the advice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
she barely fits in the palm of my hand, is 3ft really too small? I will definitely try the hydrotherapy, thanks for the advice!
She looks bigger in the pic. If she is that small then the enclosure will be fine for now as long as you can get the proper varied temps, a clay water dish she can fit into a hide and food plate and still lots of room for her to roam. When they don't have enough room, they can't build muscle.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
MBD can be stopped from progressing. But the damage to the bones will not go away.
The pain will eventually subside. The muscles will strengthen and the bones will become less brittle. But the bending, etc will likely be permanent and he may never walk totally upright in the future.
I've helped several tortoises and a few Chameleons that came to me with horrible MBD. All of them but one Chameleon lived and are doing well today. (That Chameleon was in very bad shape and required humane euthanasia.)
A vet can perform a bone density scan and an x-ray to determine how far the MBD has progressed. Then, a correct diet. Gentle care, a correct UVB source and possible D3 drops (if the vet feels the need) will start the recovery.
I'm hoping that tortoise vets are abundant in IRELAND. Like they are here in south Florida

Z.April

Ireland
She wont really move in the water at all, any advice? She simply sinks or stays still when i help her float

Z.April

Ireland
MBD can be stopped from progressing. But the damage to the bones will not go away.
The pain will eventually subside. The muscles will strengthen and the bones will become less brittle. But the bending, etc will likely be permanent and he may never walk totally upright in the future.
I've helped several tortoises and a few Chameleons that came to me with horrible MBD. All of them but one Chameleon lived and are doing well today. (That Chameleon was in very bad shape and required humane euthanasia.)
A vet can perform a bone density scan and an x-ray to determine how far the MBD has progressed. Then, a correct diet. Gentle care, a correct UVB source and possible D3 drops (if the vet feels the need) will start the recovery.
I'm hoping that tortoise vets are abundant in IRELAND. Like they are here in south Florida
the vet did an x-ray and told me her bones looked very light and that they recommend more calcium and uv-b, although they didnt say any more than that. She has started to get a little more strength and movement back in them but still 2 months later cant do TOO much with them. Is it not looking likely she’ll walk again?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She wont really move in the water at all, any advice? She simply sinks or stays still when i help her float
Just have to keep trying. Maybe try just enough water so she barely can touch so she has to use them to keep her head above the water.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
To be sure, your vet doesn't seem to know much of anything about tortoises. I would not waste money on that vet again! It seems that your best bet now is just to continue with the current treatment and make sure that the temperatures, lighting, and diet are correct. Thanks for your perseverance!

Z.April

Ireland
To be sure, your vet doesn't seem to know much of anything about tortoises. I would not waste money on that vet again! It seems that your best bet now is just to continue with the current treatment and make sure that the temperatures, lighting, and diet are correct. Thanks for your perseverance!
yeah ive spent hundreds there and have gotten very little to no information or advice, even when i told them she hadnt eaten in 3 weeks!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
the vet did an x-ray and told me her bones looked very light and that they recommend more calcium and uv-b, although they didnt say any more than that. She has started to get a little more strength and movement back in them but still 2 months later cant do TOO much with them. Is it not looking likely she’ll walk again?
It would excellent news if the tortoise has early onset MBD WITHOUT the bones yet becoming deformed.
The recovery would be much better and there would be a higher likelihood of being able to walk with his/her body off of the ground and with more normal functions.
It's a slow process. But always a very rewarding one.

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi get a high sided washing up bowl and warm shallow water and place it in. Start shallow for 20 mins soak. They poo and drink the water so if you can have a second container ready to switch over when dirty or cool. Ensure diet if fresh leaves and add a sprinkle of calcium power. Provide clean water am and pm and remove uneaten food pm. Ask questions as required.