LED for lighting only confused beginner

1eturner

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham uk
Hello all, complete beginner here so please be kind, I am a new owner of a hatchling hermann 3 months old, with the help of this forum I have set up my tortoise table, vivexotic delux with a uvb strip and basking bulb at one end but the other end is a little on the dark side someone suggested a led bulb but after purchasing I realised that I could not put it in a dome reflector, could anyone recommend a simple led bulb that would go into a dome or do I just go with the smallest jungle dawn as the space that needs lighting is quite small?
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all, complete beginner here so please be kind, I am a new owner of a hatchling hermann 3 months old, with the help of this forum I have set up my tortoise table, vivexotic delux with a uvb strip and basking bulb at one end but the other end is a little on the dark side someone suggested a led bulb but after purchasing I realised that I could not put it in a dome reflector, could anyone recommend a simple led bulb that would go into a dome or do I just go with the smallest jungle dawn as the space that needs lighting is quite small?
Thanks
They make LED bulbs that screw into any regular light bulb fixture. I prefer to use the "globe" style ones for this purpose, but any of them can work.

You can also get a strip type LED, sometimes called "under cabinet mount" types, from hardware type stores. Over here Walmart sells them, but I don't know the UK equivalent of Walmart if there is one. Any will work, but try to get something in the 5000-6500K range for natural looking light, instead of the yellowish 2000-2500K bulbs.

Here is a pre-packaged one that I found at Walmart that works beautifully and mounts very easily:
IMG_8099.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They make LED bulbs that screw into any regular light bulb fixture. I prefer to use the "globe" style ones for this purpose, but any of them can work.

You can also get a strip type LED, sometimes called "under cabinet mount" types, from hardware type stores. Over here Walmart sells them, but I don't know the UK equivalent of Walmart if there is one. Any will work, but try to get something in the 5000-6500K range for natural looking light, instead of the yellowish 2000-2500K bulbs.

Here is a pre-packaged one that I found at Walmart that works beautifully and mounts very easily:
View attachment 364177
I've seen these.
They're not at all expensive. And the European equivalent shouldn't be either

1eturner

Birmingham uk
Thank you so I can just buy a house hold globe and pop in a dome, as this is the only way I can mount above my table?
Thanks so much for the reply, it’s all quite overwhelming ☺️

1eturner

Birmingham uk

View attachment 364177

1eturner

Birmingham uk
Woul

View attachment 364177

View attachment 364177
W

View attachment 364177
Tom would one of these work?

Attachments

• IMG_2644.png
    IMG_2644.png
    335.2 KB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you, is there any chance you could suggest something similar? As you can tell I’m no diy expert 🤦🏼‍♀️
I'm not sure if you have a surface to fix the clamp, but maybe one of these might work for you:

Can you post an overview photo of the enclosure, including the stand/desk/cabinet where it sits? I'll try to figure out what we can do.

1eturner

Birmingham uk
I'm not sure if you have a surface to fix the clamp, but maybe one of these might work for you:

Can you post an overview photo of the enclosure, including the stand/desk/cabinet where it sits? I'll try to figure out what we can do.
Thank you so much for taking time to help me, my hatchling is only 3 months old so is still tiny I have the vivexotic deluxe as I need the mesh lid as we have a small dog, it is placed in my daughters room under a cabin bed, here I can keep the temperature and humidity correct

Attachments

• IMG_2649.jpeg
    IMG_2649.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2652.jpeg
    IMG_2652.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2650.jpeg
    IMG_2650.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2651.jpeg
    IMG_2651.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5

Carolgiles

Spain
Thanks

Carolgiles

Spain
Thanks

Carolgiles

Spain
I also am a beginner and also totaly confused about the bulbs and lights
I have what they call a “ full spectrum bulb”
Attached here which is UVB + UVA and have a feeling this is not correct
It was advertised for tortoises in Amazon

Attachments

• IMG_5164.jpeg
    IMG_5164.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5163.jpeg
    IMG_5163.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those are not the right type of bulb. Don't worry. We will help you understand what to use and why. Let's back up a bit...

I answered your direct question in this thread, but as we converse, it seems that a bit more background will help you understand all of this. Almost everyone gets the same wrong and conflicting info to start with. It can be very frustrating and confusing. Here is the right info. Take a few minutes to read through all of this. There is a complete heating/lighting breakdown and also a temperate species care sheet at the bottom. Read through it all at least twice, and take a moment to absorb all of this. Questions and conversation are welcome.

Carolgiles

Spain
Thank you for all the helpful information, I will do as you suggest and read this several
times to digest everything

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you so much for taking time to help me, my hatchling is only 3 months old so is still tiny I have the vivexotic deluxe as I need the mesh lid as we have a small dog, it is placed in my daughters room under a cabin bed, here I can keep the temperature and humidity correct

Thanks for the photos! I think desk lamps with clamps won't fit here. It would be easier to get this "under cabinet" light and just lay it over the mesh (look at 8W, 56cm option):

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Those are halogen bulbs without the glass filter, they could be producing UVB, but also UVC so you shouldn't use them.