Lazy hingeback

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Sunny has been doing great, the last week I have been seeing him "relax", he sleeps under the same plant and just... stays there the entire day. When I pick him up, he goes into full hatchling mode, wiggles to be put down and walks around.
He does devour a heap of mushrooms and drinks water, and just... relax, all his needs to survive are fulfilled, so I think he just vibes, any advice? (All temps are correct and humidity, so I'm not sure why he is so "relaxed"?)
20211226_184415.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Sunny has been doing great, the last week I have been seeing him "relax", he sleeps under the same plant and just... stays there the entire day. When I pick him up, he goes into full hatchling mode, wiggles to be put down and walks around.
He does devour a heap of mushrooms and drinks water, and just... relax, all his needs to survive are fulfilled, so I think he just vibes, any advice? (All temps are correct and humidity, so I'm not sure why he is so "relaxed"?)
View attachment 338037
You have his space with adequate safe cover and nutrition needs with no predators except for the monster that picks him up! More interacting helps just be patient and keep the the enclosure dialed in!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
This is pretty much it.

Must be nice. =DD

You might try varying the location of the food dish day-to-day to get a more grazing/hunting/exercising routine.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This is pretty much it.

Must be nice. =DD

You might try varying the location of the food dish day-to-day to get a more grazing/hunting/exercising routine.
I agree with the food moving. I tend though to leave the food dish pretty much in the same spot and instead hide the treat/loved items. Like whole or large chunks of mushrooms, whole strawberries, and such.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
It seems his inactivity has led to constipation, soaking him now and he is pooping, will add cucumber or lettuce to help him 20211226_213009.jpg
He almosts shimmies his behind on the tub's surface moving slightly left to right, is this also an indication of constipation?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I do see after he pooped, it was quite black, he is trying to not use his back legs too much, walking slowly, could the cloaca be damaged, if so, should I send an image? (I'm leaving for Stilbaai tomorrow, so this is worrisome)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Was the poop dry and hard? I realize Mary Knobbins is a whole nuther species, but her poop is black as sin...and she's not constipated...why would the cloaca be damaged? Was it big and difficult to pass?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
It was big, clearly uncomfortable to pass, but not too long, I was worried that it could be damaged due to the slow way the tort walked, almost crawling, trying to not use the hind legs. There was no blood, and no flesh came out with it, it looks perfectly normal, so I'm not sure if I'm over reacting, or if the tort is just tired?
He ate a load of mushrooms mixed with cucumber, about the normal amount, so I think he is fine?