Laugh of the day about exotic pet shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MICHIGAN
I wnet to an exotic pet shop this weekend. That specializes in Reptiles only. I was looking at the animals. Which were well kept. And There was a baby russian that kept following me around as I moved. I put my finger to the glass and he would push agaist it and open his mouth and close it as if to bite. He was so cuite. So i asked the lady if I could hold it. My response was "no you are not able to hold any of the pets unless you purchase it" I advised her i am not going to purchase it without holding it. She said "well thats our policy" so i let it go. I went to another lady and asked about terraruim plants and what they recommeded for my tortoises.

She looked at me appauled and said there should be no plants in a Tortoise enclosure. They would eat them. I advised her that would be fine bnut i want to make sure its no poisoness. She then replied to me "there are no plants that are safe for a torrtoise in there enclosure and under no circumstances should i have any plants in there"

These are supposed to be reptile experts so they claim. I told the lady and the owner that before they give advise they need to do there research or keep there mouth shut cause they could very well give the wrong advise and kill someones animal.

Needless to say i left the store without buying anything. Thought i would just share this crazy expierences with all our tortoise lovers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a lot of ignorance and bad service out there nowadays. So sad.

BTW, I can't keep any plants in my tortoise enclosures that aren't food either. I do water the weeds in their outdoor pens though. Does that count?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
If tortoises can't have plants in their enclosures, I am sure that in the wild Mazuri falls from the sky for them to eat, because GOD FORBID they eat a PLANT!!!!

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Yeah tell me about it. She looked at me like i was nuts! I couldnt beleive it. and its one of the only exotic pet shops in the area...crazy.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Most 'reptile people' are more like snake and lizard people. I often find that people who are really good at, say, boids, are OK with other snakes but know very little about tortoises.

We've had a series of reptile shops open here, and only one of them knew much about torts- he had an impressive indoor Red-foot breeding operation going. The last was a nice guy and interested in learning, but was overpricing bumpy Red-foots and had a pair of about 20-24" Sulcata in about a 4x4 indoor pen most of the year.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Madkins007 said:
had a pair of about 20-24" Sulcata in about a 4x4 indoor pen most of the year.

Good god, mine were 8" and 12" in a 8' X 10' with a separate sleeping area and I felt abusive....

Status
Not open for further replies.