Lattice enclosure

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hello. It's getting warmer and I am trying to make an outdoor enclosure. I've never had the luxury of having a whole yard for my torts, but I am making a big enclosure this year. My question is, has anyone ever used vinyl lattice fencing to make an enclosure? It is fairly inexpensive and its plastic, so it's easy to clean. It is see through so I would have to cover the first few inches. Do you think this would work? Also, how big should the enclosure be for an 8 inch redfoot tort? Thanks. Here is a picture of lattice fencing.
image.jpeg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I think so long as you are willing to cover the bottom you should be fine. I have a 4ft x 8ft pen right now that works well for my 7in redfoot, though I plan on giving her even more room this year. She uses every inch!

M

Maggie Cummings

I've used lattice....just make it as big as you can. That's always the 'rule'

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I use it for dappled shade for my young torts. I don't see why it can't be used as the upper portion of the sides.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461793477.754115.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know this is bigger than you have in mind, but I use the plastic lattice for my tortoises. I use it around the sheds to provide more shade. This one is built under a nice, large mulberry tree, and the shed is inside:

gazebo a.jpg

Then this is their outside area:

gazebo b.jpg

...and the inside where the shed is:

gazebo c.jpg

Here you can see that I've put up boards to protect the lattice and keep the tortoises in:

gazebo d.jpg

This works very well in the winter when it's too cold to allow them outside. I wrap the lattice in plastic film and keep the door shut, but I allow the tortoises out of the shed to the inside of the lattice area. It gives them more room and they don't get so depressed from being kept inside all the time.

ShellyTheTortoise71

This is awesome. Thanks for all the answers. I will be using lattice and I will post a picture once I complete it.

ShellyTheTortoise71

I know this is bigger than you have in mind, but I use the plastic lattice for my tortoises. I use it around the sheds to provide more shade. This one is built under a nice, large mulberry tree, and the shed is inside:

View attachment 171794

Then this is their outside area:

View attachment 171795

...and the inside where the shed is:

View attachment 171796

Here you can see that I've put up boards to protect the lattice and keep the tortoises in:

View attachment 171797

This works very well in the winter when it's too cold to allow them outside. I wrap the lattice in plastic film and keep the door shut, but I allow the tortoises out of the shed to the inside of the lattice area. It gives them more room and they don't get so depressed from being kept inside all the time.

What an amazing enclosure! That's really awesome.