Lasik

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Just looking for opinions/experiences. Has anyone had it done? Any complications or regrets? Aside from Kathy Griffin, you don't really hear about major complications.

Even though it was a different procedure, I can't help but think about the guy the went blind temporarily while climbing Mt. Everest. And you never know, I might get adventurous and ambitious one day. :rolleyes:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have never had the procedure, I do know a couple of folks that have and they have all good things to say about their vision and experience with the procedure and their doctor....I bet the doctor is a major factor in a positive or negative result....:D

I wonder if the guy who went blind climbing that high altitude did so as a result of broken blood vessels and such--due to the high pressure???

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
My mother and brother have both had it done. My mom about ten years ago when it was fairly new and my brother a year or two ago.

The brother went in for a pre-procedure check up and someone had canceled so he actually got it down that day. It was quick and essentially painless. He went home and slept the rest of the day. I remember him waking up the next day and saying, 'holy f*** I can see everything!'. Both has great experiences and haven't had any problems with there eyes since. I know they'd both recommend it.

You will still need reading glasses one day (depending on how your vision is now, how old you are, etc...) but both my mom and brother probably have as good or better vision as me and I've always had better than 20/20.

ascott said:
I have never had the procedure, I do know a couple of folks that have and they have all good things to say about their vision and experience with the procedure and their doctor....I bet the doctor is a major factor in a positive or negative result....:D

I wonder if the guy who went blind climbing that high altitude did so as a result of broken blood vessels and such--due to the high pressure???

*low pressure at high altitude*
I don't know the case but it sounds interesting. I doubt its a caused by a bursting blood vessel though.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I had it done in 2007. I was pretty nervous about the procedure beforehand, but it only took about 1 minute. It's fantastic. No complications afterwards. Best money I've ever spent on myself.

turtleluv88

5 Year Member
Had it done 2 years ago. My eyes were pretty bad to the point where it was hard to even wear glasses. Best money I ever spent and I wish I would have done it sooner. No complications and quick recovery. I would recommend it to anyone.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My son had it done 2 years ago. He now has bionic vision:) I am near sighted and have a huge problem with glare and "shatter" for lack of a better term. If the lasik corrected my near-sightedness but not the shatter problem, it wouldn't be worth it for me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am always afraid an earthquake will happen when I am under the laser.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have spoke with many on this procedure. My overall opinion is avoid it, unless you have no other options. Many i have spoken with have had short term beneficial gain and then it reverts to the original condition or worse. I have had co-workers that have actually had reverse results ending up with worse than original conditions directly after following the procedures.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ALDABRAMAN said:
I have spoke with many on this procedure. My overall opinion is avoid it, unless you have no other options. Many i have spoken with have had short term beneficial gain and then it reverts to the original condition or worse. I have had co-workers that have actually had reverse results ending up with worse than original conditions directly after following the procedures.

Hmmmm...good to hear the other side, for perspective.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
ALDABRAMAN said:

I've done some research and things like this are why I made the thread. The possibility of it reverting back to the original condition doesn't bother me so much as the cases where the vision ended up worse and was not improvable with glasses or contacts.

srkarpen said:
ascott said:

*low pressure at high altitude*
I don't know the case but it sounds interesting. I doubt its a caused by a bursting blood vessel though.

Beck Weathers
has said that his trouble on the mountain began when he was blinded by the effects of high altitude and overexposure to ultraviolet radiation on his eyes that had been altered by radial keratotomy surgery

Probably not a real concern with Lasik, but ever since I read the book years ago, it is the one thing I remember.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I have had several eye surgeries but i am too blind for lasik. When the laser gets strong enough for my vision I will get it.

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
jaizei said:

Beck Weathers
has said that his trouble on the mountain began when he was blinded by the effects of high altitude and overexposure to ultraviolet radiation on his eyes that had been altered by radial keratotomy surgery

Probably not a real concern with Lasik, but ever since I read the book years ago, it is the one thing I remember.

So I read a lot into this because I'm a grad student studying exercise physiology and pharmacy and that's what we do. Pretty much its thought Beck Weather's condition, which has happened to other people to, was a result of hypoxia not hypobarism. Also, LASIK is a good choice as this effect is less if a concern at high altitudes. So, in case you do decide to climb Everest you'll still be ok. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only know of one person. She wouldn't spend the money again. Her vision went back to what it was before the surgery. It only lasted about 7-10 years, i can't remember exactly. However, she enjoyed it while it lasted.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The risk of someones eyesight going worse is what would concern me. Your eyesight is way to precious in my opinion to take some chances with. Bottom line, make an informed decision and do what is the best option for you. I also know many that have had good results. Hard decision when it comes to some invasive procedures.

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Plainfield, IN
My dad had LASIK about 12 years ago and hasn't had any problems. Several of the guys he works with have had it too. I had PRK (a similar surgery) about a year ago, and I've been very happy with it. Best money I've ever spent. Some places (mine included) will give you a garantee that if your vision goes back to the way it was, they'll do the surgery again or refund your money. It's a lifetime garantee as long as you do all you follow-up appointments and get your eyes checked once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.