Largest sulcata on record?

Sanderson121

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
Does anyone know what the largest sulcata recorded is? I had no luck with a google search, I found lots of stuff about Galapagos but no sulcata. If so, are there pictures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think there are any official "records". I've personally seen several that were around 250 points, and a few that had to be near 300 pounds, and one monster that was as large as or larger than a 400 pound Aldabra that I had recently helped lift. The owner estimate 380 pounds, but I think it was bigger than that:
IMG_2756.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does anyone know what the largest sulcata recorded is? I had no luck with a google search, I found lots of stuff about Galapagos but no sulcata. If so, are there pictures?
By the way, these giants are all Sudan sulcatas. Not the regular ones. Regular males top out at around 130. Females of both types top out around 80 pounds.

Sanderson121

Idaho
By the way, these giants are all Sudan sulcatas. Not the regular ones. Regular males top out at around 130. Females of both types top out around 80 pounds.

Very cool! I’m hopeful Pickle will be this big someday, for now I’ll cherish his tiny-ness and the fact that my patio furniture is all intact.

Liz Burton

Klamath Falls
I don't think there are any official "records". I've personally seen several that were around 250 points, and a few that had to be near 300 pounds, and one monster that was as large as or larger than a 400 pound Aldabra that I had recently helped lift. The owner estimate 380 pounds, but I think it was bigger than that:
View attachment 309730
How do you tell a Sudan sulcata from a "regular" one, when they are in the 25-30 pound range or smaller?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do you tell a Sudan sulcata from a "regular" one, when they are in the 25-30 pound range or smaller?
You really can't. The Sudans get a much higher dome, as you can see in the pic, but this doesn't usually begin to show until they are 60-80 pounds, and it gets more and more exaggerated as they grow. The best way to tell is to put a large adult on a scale. If its 150 plus, you've got Sudanese genes. Males of the Mali sulcatas typically don't get much over 130.

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
San Diego Ca
I have a regular female that's 95lbs. now. I have no idea how old.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
You really can't. The Sudans get a much higher dome, as you can see in the pic, but this doesn't usually begin to show until they are 60-80 pounds, and it gets more and more exaggerated as they grow. The best way to tell is to put a large adult on a scale. If its 150 plus, you've got Sudanese genes. Males of the Mali sulcatas typically don't get much over 130.
I found this older thread this morning and was curious if you had any updates on the weights of some of those monster Sulcatas you mentioned. Were you guys able to confirm any or have you seen any bigger ones since then?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
images
David's Jungle in Nevada (they didn't say how much he weighs)