large sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pet/2348535166.html

This guy is pretty close to me...to bad I don't have the means to house a sulcata like this in the winter. Poor guy looks like he is kept inside on someones hardwood floors all the time. I don't think this sulcata looks 20 years old either. Wouldn't he be a little bigger at that age? I guess he could have been stunted from poor care but he doesn't look to be in to bad of shape.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Beautiful tortoise... seems to be lots of sulcata's for sale all the time down there. He doesn't appear to be in bad shape though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The whole ad is inaccurate. 20" and 80 lbs? Not physically possible. At 20" mine felt heavy as rocks and weighed around 40 pounds. $1900? Adult sulcatas are usually free to a good home. Where did he get that number? And the age. No way to verify it, but it does not look like a 20 year old tortoise to me.

I wish him good luck finding a better home for the tortoise. At least he's doing that part right.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree. It's always hard to determine age for sure. I believe in the slow, steady growth and not over-feeding. However, I have seen some tortoises in rescue that are 12+ inches at age 1. They have shell deformaties though from that fast of growth. The shell doesn't look bad at all. I hope he finds a good home. Re-homing fee or price he came up with is high. It's hard to decide on a "re-homing" price, as I can understand. People want to find good homes and want people who are responsible and have the financial means to take care of their tortoise. I can't stand when someone replies to an ad I have for hatchlings and say they can't afford the price of the hatchling, but they can give them a good home. If you can't afford $50 for the tortoise, how can you afford to take care of them life-long...a UVB bulb costs more than that for a good one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very good points Christy.

You have really seen a 12 month old 12" sulcata? Wow. I've never seen them grow THAT fast. If they looked so bad on the outside, I wonder what the inside looked like. Its so easy to take care of them in a 100 different "right" ways, and even following the old, outdated, "bad" info would prevent the kind of abomination you describe. There are a few members of the human race that I just can't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.