LARGE CONCRETE WALLERING HOLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I am getting ready to make a large concrete wallering/water pool/hole for the adult aldabra colony. It will be about 20x20 (not square, similar to the Miami zoo one). My question is does any one have any ideas or experiences with the special paint/coating that I need to apply inorder to keep it cleaner and not so abraisive? Thanks to all, Greg.

2912cf4.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You can use pool epoxy paint the stuff they use on gunite pools you can get on any online pool store try in the swim thay carry it I was just looking at there catalog

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They also have pond sealing paint which is safe for pond fish so I would assume it would be safe for any animal. But it may be the same thing as the pool epoxy paint.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
I deal with several pool types, all with different coatings & grades... they all pretty much gather algae at about the same rate using well water-or reclaimed, the city water (that is chlorinated) tends to slow the growth of the green alage, but as far as I know, we haven't found a coating that makes that much difference cleaning-wise. I will have to double check to see if the pool we use is made of a particular mix of concrete, it is very smooth, with many crevices to keep from cracking.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
zesty_17 said:
I deal with several pool types, all with different coatings & grades... they all pretty much gather algae at about the same rate using well water-or reclaimed, the city water (that is chlorinated) tends to slow the growth of the green alage, but as far as I know, we haven't found a coating that makes that much difference cleaning-wise. I will have to double check to see if the pool we use is made of a particular mix of concrete, it is very smooth, with many crevices to keep from cracking.

Thank to all, Zesty 17 that would be great if you could check. I do not remember how Bush Gardens has there's set up.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
There really isn't anything aside from using pool equipment and chemicals to keep it "cleaner".........The easiest thing to do is have a water pump to pump everything out and refill it every few days......Labor intensive but it works........I've never liked the idead of shelled critters and concrete.......It can cause pre-mature shell wear and shell problems, especially with bigger Tortoises........

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
EricIvins said:
There really isn't anything aside from using pool equipment and chemicals to keep it "cleaner".........The easiest thing to do is have a water pump to pump everything out and refill it every few days......Labor intensive but it works........I've never liked the idead of shelled critters and concrete.......It can cause pre-mature shell wear and shell problems, especially with bigger Tortoises........

That is my concern also, still in the planning phase. I have several more weeks of other improvements before I go to that project.

I do not mind labor intensive or cost, just functional, clean, and safe!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It may not last as long but what about using plastic pond liners, it is tougher, though to be honest I don't know how it would handle giant aldabs.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Not sure if it will work on your scale....

We dig out a basin in the yard then use concrete to make wading pools, use a healthy coat of waterproof cement (used for repairing cracks in pools) and then coat it with blue waterproof paint. This holds the water and stands up to the use from our Sulcatas. We use large push brooms to sweep out when the water is nasty. The nasty water seems to do wonders for the grass around the pool though:).

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Mick, can you post pics here.. I have a much smaller version for my sulcatas.. and I need some sort of sealer, as it leaks.. and just run a hose or make sure the sprinklers hit the area to keep it with water.. I also have a garbage can lid in a indention in the ground. its easy to dump and re fill.. but its getting too small!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Look into some heavy duty roof rubber, I use it and have never had a problem with it. I have never made a pond 20ft wide and the widest I've bought was 12ft wide by 50ft long, but it may come in wider widths, if not they have a glue made just for it, and it ain't coming apart after it is glued.Its easy to clean.I'm not sure of the thickness but what i use is about twice as thick as the gray liner that is sold for home use at Lowes and Home Depot for pan liners, and that is 20mm thick. I use newspaper(about 3/4 in thick) under the rubber, it takes a lot of paper, so something the size of what you are making maybe carpet padding or carpet would work better.Also it will conform to any shape.---- after it gets alga it is super slippery for people but the torts don't seem to have a problem going in and out of the pond. Len

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I don't know about liners or paint but I do know how to make it clean.
Why not circulate the water through a filte? They are easy to make and cheap!
koiphen.com has a DIY forum that will answer any questions. There are user photos on how to build all size filters and how to plum them.
I have a turtle pond that is clear as spring water because of what I learned there.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
muddoc said:
Greg,
Think about trying this. It is what I ordered for my pond. I will be applying it this weekend, and I will let you know how it works. I figure if it doesn't kill Koi, there is no way it will hurt my torts, since Koi are so sensitive. I have heard some great things about the Herco product.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3326/Fish-Pond-Coating

That looks like a good option. Interested when you are completed for a review. I like that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.