Lady Hermann not her usual self

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Further news of the swallowa - having spent the night very squashed in the nest, they all appeared this morning -they are getting less babyish every day.
Angie xx2nd07.jpg2nd08.jpg2nd09.jpg

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
In my private cave...
Thank you for the update re the swallows.
They are a lovely family and I hope they come back every year to nest near you.
20230914_151949.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
These will probably be the last photos we get of our little guests - until next year, anyway. Richard went into the carport a couple of evenings ago, and noticed movement - he hurried for his camera, and there he was - stll completely unafraid, which is the best thing of all !!
There should be another photo, too, but it won't copy at the moment - I'll send it next time. We think all the last 4 are there during the night.
Love to Her Wonderfulness, and to you, Ruth, from Zola and Angie xxxxx
ltt03.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Truly superb photos. Thanks for sharing them. The gorgeous one is tucked up for the night...fond good nights and love to Zola and you both xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth - here is the other most recent photo. Unfortunately, Richard found one of the babies on the floor this morning - it may have flown into the glass window along the side of the carport, and banged its head - we are both very sad about it, as they are rather special to us .
Zola is in a rather cross mood today, as it has been raining a lot, so he didn't go for his long walk.
Anyway, here are the babies.....
Angie xxxxxltt02.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie, I'm so sorry about the injured baby bird; the ones in the photo look beautiful and healthy however.
It's lovely that they know you and trust your coming near to take photos.
I'm sorry Zola is not feeling his usual self. Teztez is very sympathetic. She has been camped beside the aga all day, with her arms and legs draped out, basking in the warmth.
Not really a day for doing much outdoor exercise. Perhaps Zola will be thinking about composing his memoirs while having an introspective mood.
No doubt he has plenty of material to choose from.
Teztez is planning to begin her fast, in order to detox ready for the long sleep.
She hasn't said much, but we can tell she is thinking about it.
Hoping you have a very good night and enjoyable day tomorrow, fond regards and love from Lady Teztez and Ruth xxx
Zola might be interested, a certain personage unveiled a commemorative plaque for a charity, this was made by Teztez's papa, so he is quite pleased that the personage admired his work.
Teztez has been soaking up the afternoon sun earlier this week.
IMG-20230916-WA0001.jpg20230915_165121.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Zola was most impressed by Teztez's papa's plaque - what lovely work ! He wondered if the man in the photo was her papa - I said he didn't look anything like I had imagined, if it was him, I apologise !
I have always rather admired the personage - she has always seemed a very sensible and hard-working person, but I've never met her or any of her family.
Richard knew Diana as a little girl, when she lived in a posh flat in London - he would see her in the lift - he was staying in a friends flat there too. He has always felt sorry for her.
The swallows are still hanging about in the carport - apart from the poor little one who didn't make it - we felt so bad about that, having sort of known him personally. It has been wet, windy, and rather cold, so we are glad we have a safe space for them to sleep.
Zola is rather sad that Teztez is thinking about her yearly sleep, and depriving him of the chance to see more photos of her lovely and endearing self - but I tell him that she knows best.
Love and best wishes to her and her retainers from Zola and Angie xxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Ruth - the weather has been very unpleasant for tortoises - or indeed for baby swallows - but Zola has been managing short expeditions each day. Today he met a Ukrainian lady, who was very interested in him - and absolutely delighted when Richard said " chiripakha" to her, that being the Ukrainian for tortoise.
It will soon be the time to light a small fire, so Zola and I can have a quiet cuddle sitting beside it - I really enjoyed it last winter - he was so receptive and loving - or at least, that's how it seemed to me.
Angie xxx
Teztez looks lovely - her shell looks great, and you can see the calm but determined expression in her eye - no wonder Zola admires her so much !

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie and Gorgeous Zola,

Teztez is most impressed with your cosmopolitan savoir faire, greeting the Ukrainian lady and other fortunate people.
The sight of your golden shell and calm expression and gorgeous legs must cheer even the most anxious person.
That is very clever of your Papa to know Ukrainian words. Tortoises cross all barriers and languages and appeal to the youngest and oldest persons.
it has been pleasant today and Teztez wishes Zola a happy and enjoyable walk.
She herself has only ventured as far as the door of her hut, preferring to just sit in the warm sunshine.
she is in a warm bath now, as we speak and her faithful retainer will be offering her Ladyship some green leaves and soggies for her tea.
Angie is quite correct, the man standing at the lectern is not Teztez's papa, who was not present at the illustrious occasion.
Hoping you have a happy and peaceful weekend.
fond regards and love from Lady Teztez and ruthxx
i will try to attach a photo of us,
in France, sadly Teztez was not with us.
Screenshot_20230920_203227_WhatsApp.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello dear Angie and Zola,
I hope you are all well.
There's an interesting account about Jonathan the oldest tortoise in the paper, by a vet called Jonathan, very interesting!
Here are a couple of pictures.
I hope Zola is keeping warm and comfortable. Teztez is definitely starting her fast, she is only taking a few token nibbles of her food offerings. And spending most of her time basking or sleeping.
Fond regards and love from Teztez and Ruth xxxScreenshot_20230929_124613_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_125434_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_125434_Chrome.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 1

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie and Zola,
Teztez and I are a little worried, are you ok?
I do hope you are all well, I do trust you have not had a fall, or are down with covid or in hospital.
Feeling rather concerned about your wellbeing.
We have lit the first fire of autumn and are having tea beside it.
Teztez has put herself firmly to bed. She is being quite decisive at the moment.
We know Zola would do his best to care for you if you are ill, but we feel a bit worried, it would be very dreadful if you fell and broke a hip or something that Zola couldn't deal with by himself.
Hope to hear that all is well.
Fond regards and love from Teztez and Ruth xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth and Teztez - thank you very much for being so concerned about me - I haven't had a fall or anything serious, but I have had a particularly stressful time,for various reasons, culminating in my two big neck injections (not the botox ones) and have been feeling very grotty. However, I have had some good news - there is a new headache pill which has been approved very recently, and I will be eligible to try it next year, instead of the injections I would be very glad , as I do get so wobbly, which is very frustrating. I might also be able to go to Balance classes
Did you see the posts I wrote a year or two ago about Jonathan ,the oldest tortoise ?
Thank you very much for sending the details from the paper about him - I should look out for the other Jonathans book.
Will write more tomorrow.
Love to you and Teztez from myself and Zola xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie, Thank you for the update, I am so glad you haven't had a fall or anything dangerous, I'm so sorry you have been having a bad time. It would be good to have some breakthrough treatment, and avoid the unpleasant injections.
Yes I remembered your posts about Jonathan, and was fascinated to see he is still going strong.
Love to you all.
From Teztez and Ruth xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
I've had a light bulb moment (overdue)
Teztez has been doing her absorbed scrabbling digging motions again with her back legs, trying her hardest to dig.
We have some building work going on involving builder's sand, so I begged a few shovelfulls, which I warmed up and put in a16961512553828881043363808316605.jpg box under her heat lamp, and she seems really pleased, I'm warming up some more to make it deeper for her.
Now I see the possible reason why she used to escape from the farm park and make her way to the riding school. Apparently she liked to dig into the sand around their riding ring. Now it makes sense. She must have been trying to dig a nesting hole.
Why ever she's still trying to dig Now, in October is a mystery, still, she's evidently got it on her mind, so we will see what she does with all this sand!
She can easily climb out of the box if she gets fed up with the sand.
I know it should be deeper, but it's the best I can do for now, it's too cold for her to be outside today.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I've had a light bulb moment (overdue)
Teztez has been doing her absorbed scrabbling digging motions again with her back legs, trying her hardest to dig.
We have some building work going on involving builder's sand, so I begged a few shovelfulls, which I warmed up and put in aView attachment 361991 box under her heat lamp, and she seems really pleased, I'm warming up some more to make it deeper for her.
Now I see the possible reason why she used to escape from the farm park and make her way to the riding school. Apparently she liked to dig into the sand around their riding ring. Now it makes sense. She must have been trying to dig a nesting hole.
Why ever she's still trying to dig Now, in October is a mystery, still, she's evidently got it on her mind, so we will see what she does with all this sand!
She can easily climb out of the box if she gets fed up with the sand.
I know it should be deeper, but it's the best I can do for now, it's too cold for her to be outside today.
That's an absolutely brilliant idea, Ruth !!! Zola and I will be all agog to learn what she does next. Zola has never been a digger -yet - so I hope she doesn't inspire him.
I notice that Zola's claws seem shorter and more stubby at the ends with all the walking on the rocks -I hope that will be ok - What are the Lady's ones like?
I haven't thanked you for your train photo - it's lovely to see you both at last - Teztez is so lucky to have found such good adoptive parents, even if you were a bit mean not taking her on holiday with you !
Lots of love from Angie xxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth and the Supreme Lady Teztez - how is the digging going? Zola has been havivg long walks and climbs along the breakwater at Bude practically every afternoon for a while, and is getting very determined and strong - his legs have been commented on favourably by various onlookers ! He did an extra two lengths yesterday, as he really didn't want to stop. I"m sure it's very good for him, and he is getting lots of sun on his shell. He obviously just enjoys the activity for itself, as he is not getting any reward other than that. He seems very happy, and of course he is giving anyone who sees him a very different impression of tortoise abilities from what they might expect.- which is a good thing!
Love from Angie xxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie and intrepid Zola, Teztez and i hope that you are keeping safe and warm during this stormy weather.
Zola will be missing the sunshine and sea air of his walks, but hopefully he will not be called upon to help with any emergencies or rescues.
Teztez is nearly ready to retire into her insulated boudoir for her long sleep, but wanted me to assure Zola that he will be in her dreams throughout the winter and she is looking forward to seeing more pictures of him again in the spring.
Love from Lady Teztez and Ruth xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie and The Amazing Zola,
i hope you are well and are able to get out and about as the weather improves.
The Lady has been to see her practitioner, the exotic vet in Swindon, who has given her a clean bill of health and has done an x-ray to be sure that she is not hiding any eggs inside. we are very relieved to hear that she has not got any retained eggs, and that her digging behaviour was indeed a sort of phantom pregnancy thing, similar to dogs' behaviour. She must have got it into her head that she wanted to dig a hole, but that was as far as it went.
She had a very "I told you so" expression on her face when the lovely vet told us this, and was very well behaved, opening her mouth nicely and even producing a tiny poo for testing. Zola would have been proud of her.
So she is now beginning her long sleep, tucked up in her hut for the moment, in an unheated room, ready for transferring to her fridge.
So she is saying au revoir for the moment to Zola, with fond best wishes that he has an enjoyable christmas season and relishes his brussels sprout!
with love to all of you from Lady Teztez and Ruth xxx

it was very fascinating to learn that Richard had met Diana and seen her from day to day. what a tragedy the whole thing was. Poor poor girl, growing up with no proper loving guidance and selling herself to the highest bidder, not once but twice. very sad,
it was a terrific chance for C3 to redeem himself and start afresh, but he threw it away.
poor chap.

Last edited: